• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grand Sichuan International

Pan

[...]As for the dumplings, I know they are Shanghainese...and I have not had any others...but I think they are delicious at GSI.  I my mouth waters to think of even better ones, and I do trust you. So would it be Joe's Shanghai, Moon House, New Green Bo or Yeah Shanghai Deluxe or some other one? These are the most mentioned on egullet for soup dumplings.

None of them have fully and consistently satisfied me, but I've preferred Yeah. Others have preferred New Green Bo. I think that the ones I had at China 46 in New Jersey were better than any of the above.

I think we have a thread on xiaolong bao in New York.

Michael aka "Pan"

I tend to disagree. I would say the good items on the menu trend too far toward spicy and it would be better to stay away. (Is the fresh-killed chicken menu really mostly non-spicy? I almost never have really non-spicy dishes from it -- although that just might be my preference.)

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

I tend to disagree.  I would say the good items on the menu trend too far toward spicy and it would be better to stay away.  (Is the fresh-killed chicken menu really mostly non-spicy? I almost never have really non-spicy dishes from it -- although that just might be my preference.)

I've eaten at/ordered from GSI with several spice-averse people. As for myself, I'm a masochist, it's the Indian genes, I will eat things that melt plastic. I will sacrifice my bunghole for the spice. But yeah, I've had several dishes from the fresh-killed chicken menu where you can actually taste the chicken, and they're great. Despite what people say here, I love the soup dumplings. The thing about GSI is that everything there is expertly perpared, you can't go wrong unless you order from the "American Chinese Food" menu, and even that is damn good. But the Sichuan spicing is too much for most of my family. We know they're missing out but some people don't have a tolerane for pure pepper and chile.

I think we have a thread on xiaolong bao in New York.

I know, and I did not intend to sidetrack this thread. Unfortunately, and as per usual, my time is limited in NYC, so I have to do the best I can.

My initial question was about chicken and vegetables.

It seems I can't go wrong with any fresh chicken dish...

What vegetable would all of you recommend?

What vegetable would all of you recommend?

Ask if they have pea shoots. If they do, then get them stir fried with garlic. They also do a good baby bok choi in a similar style. Look under "seasonal vegetables."

I also like the "green parot with red mouth" which is an interesting cold dish. Spinach leaves and stems (separately) are layered on top of each other and drizzled with red oil.

I like the Sichuan pickled cabbage with red oil appetizer, but it is very spicy. You can also get it without the red oil. At a buck fifty, you almost can't afford to not order it.

There are several good potato dishes.

Sour string beans (actually long beans) with minced pork is excellent.

The preserved trunip [sic] Sichuan style is a nice spicy appetizer.

And, if you want to eat Klingon food, try the spicy and reppery [sic] mung bean noodle appetizer.

The vegetable dishes are also a great way to temper the spice of some of the other dishes.

--

I've been reading this thread trying to compile a list of non-spicy dishes that are recommended...and I'm just getting lost.  Would GS be worth it to try if everyone in my party can't eat spicy foods?

I would tend to advise a trip to a Cantonese or Shanghainese restaurant instead, in that case, but it really depends how little tolerance you have for any hot pepper whatsoever. My parents have become spice wimps in recent years, but they are still able to have meals that really satisfy them. I would strongly advise you not to ask them to tone down the spiciness in anything that's supposed to be spicy, though, because that will unbalance the flavors in the dish. We got one of the shrimp dishes, I think Shrimp with Sichuan Sauce, with reduced spiciness for my mother once or twice. With the full amount of spiciness, it's a fine dish. With reduced hot pepper, the ketchup taste comes through, instead of being part of a balanced amalgamation of tastes.

Michael aka "Pan"

OK, in terms of vegetable dishes, I agree with all the ones Sam recommended, except that the pickled cabbage is too spicy for me!

I have some additions: Get the second dish on the Prodigal Daughter's menu. It's a combination of carrots, celery, jalapenos, and garlic, in a delicious brown sauce with plenty of hot oil in it.

If you like bitter melon, get their Sauteed Bitter Melon.

My favorite of the non-peppery cold dishes is the cucumber, though the broad beans are also good if you like broad beans. I also like the jellyfish, but I realize that isn't actually a vegetable. :biggrin:

Michael aka "Pan"

OK, in terms of vegetable dishes, I agree with all the ones Sam recommended, except that the pickled cabbage is too spicy for me!

I have some additions: Get the second dish on the Prodigal Daughter's menu. It's a combination of carrots, celery, jalapenos, and garlic, in a delicious brown sauce with plenty of hot oil in it.

If you like bitter melon, get their Sauteed Bitter Melon.

My favorite of the non-peppery cold dishes is the cucumber, though the broad beans are also good if you like broad beans. I also like the jellyfish, but I realize that isn't actually a vegetable. :biggrin:

Thanks Pan! I need another stomach! No, I just need to make it to NY more often.

Hmmm bitter melon. I've never had it but I'm going to try it (my new favorite vegetable is broccoli rabe, and the bitterer the better). Anything you could compare the taste to?

I've looked at previous posts and the jellyfish sounds interesting too. How would you describe it?

I can't really compare bitter melon to anything else, except perhaps bitter gourd (if you've had that). It's very bitter and slightly sweet. There's a Shredded Duck with Bitter Melon dish at Grand Sichuan that's terrific. Bitter melon also goes well with pork.

The jellyfish is a bit chewy, a very pleasant texture, and a good vehicle for the sauce (which is basically the same scallion sauce as is used in the cucumber, broad bean, and tofu cold dishes).

Michael aka "Pan"

So, it seems while I lived in Manhattan, I didn't find the right Nirvana ... IYHO (not IMHO), how does Sichuan Grand in Chinatown (125 Canal Street) compare to SGI? Are they "related" in the same way the SGI's in various parts of the city are?

JasonZ

Philadelphia, PA, USA and Sandwich, Kent, UK

I am personally not a fan of the chinatown Grand Sichuan and am under the impression that they are not part of the Grand Sichuan International empire. Compared to the hells kitchen Grand Sichuan International they don't have as much variety in their menu (no fresh killed chicken or Prodigal Daughter), the food is greasier, and there isn't as much depth of flavor. It also irks me that they don't deliver and if you order take out they charge you for rice which you have to specifically ask for. :angry:

From the New York Times review if April 7, 1999 by Eric Asimov (an egullet member):

Mr. Zhang began handing out his pamphlet to American customers at his original restaurant, also called Grand Sichuan, at 125 Canal Street in Chinatown. After a dispute with his partners there, he opened his plain but comfortable Chelsea restaurant without them last fall.

• 8 months later...
If that's what rat poop tastes like, then I love rat poop.

Hopefully they get it in order soon. I was actually planning on taking out this Sunday.

How true is this? My wife went there last night and the leftovers are still sitting in my frig, should I throw them out? Guess not.