• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine in a Tetra Pak?

Carlovski

I also saw this wine for sale in a tetrapak in my local shop last night.

Interesting thing is they are marketing it as 33% extra free - 1L rather than .75 with the justification that they are passing on the savings due to the packaging (It's lighter so less expensive to ship, no cork etc) to the consumer.

What do people think? Nothing really new in some countries I know - I have seen milk cartons of local plonk in Spain but the packaging technology appears to have improved. A good idea for cheap/mid range everyday wines?

I personally have no problem with the concept, as long as the wine is reasonable.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Coincidentally, I tasted four different varietals from Tetra Paks today, from California, and to be honest they were fine. The guy at the stand also mentioned that they came in 1L packs, but seemed to use this a justification for a €12.99 price tag (aprx). I think they are gimmicky, and if i was served one in a bar I would be hesitant about the quality, but really the ones I tasted are MUCH better than many 1/4 bottles I have had in bars and pubs.

I think its a very interesting marketing approach and will be fascinating to see what demographic they appeal to when they come on to Irish shelves.

This is very new in Ireland (where people are only just getting used to the sight of screw tops)