• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NY Restaurant Reviews

Other than R. Reichl's Garlic & Sapphires and Mimi Sheraton's Eating My Words, does anyone know of a NY Times anthology of restaurant reviews?

u.e.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I don't think there's a current one. They used to put them out periodically (they were called "guides" rather than "anthologies", but the write-ups were all or mostly based on published reviews), so if you're interested for historical reasons you might be able find some of the old out-of-print ones on used book websites.

Thanks Sneakeater!

Do you remember what they were called, these "guides?" I've tried looking for them on Amazon, but nothing...

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I think the titles varied. At least one was called something like The New York Times Guide to New York Restaurants (and it was never anything much more creative than that).

I feel terrible, cuz the one or two old ones I had got thrown out in a bout of cleaning last year. (I knew I'd regret it.) I'm pretty sure Fat Guy has referred to his having at least one of them, so with luck he'll see this thread and pipe in.

... I know, just like the time I dumped a whole box full of Smurf cartoon cells (this was back in the '80's)... only to walk into a cartoon gallery a few years later to find each cell retailing in the thousands... Doh!.

With luck, I'll be able to track down some of these guides - maybe on eBay. Really, what I'm after, are just compilations of restaurant reviews - be they from magazines (e.g. Gourmet, Saveur, etc.) or major newspapers.

Anyone else out there with suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

There was a New York restaurant guide from the Eighties by Seymour Britchky which essentially compiled entries from his newsletter.

I think that Mimi Sheraton also published a similar guide, maybe a few years after Britchky's, compiling entries from her newsletter.

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

Sneakeater!

Not tiresome at all! I just found a couple of copies of 1964 (Miller) and 1970's (Canaday) guides online and they are on their way to me!

Thanks for the links, I'll check these out as soon as I can.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account