• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Killer Cocktails in Philadelphia

KatieLoeb

I had the pleasure of meeting David Wondrich aka eGullet's own Splificator at a Book and the Cook event here in Philadelphia yesterday evening. The event was a pairing of a flight of cocktails from David's book Killer Cocktails: An Intoxicating Guide to Sophisticated Drinking with hors d'oeuvres from Executive Chef Michael Salvitti at über-hip Red Sky restaurant/lounge. Here's a look at the lineup of cocktails.

gallery_7409_476_29467.jpg

From left to right:

Paloma - Tequila, lime and grapefruit soda with a pinch of salt to give it that je n'est ce quois and refreshing tang.

Spring Rolls with a Thai dipping sauce.

Pearlescent - Absolut vodka with a hint of almond and Dalmatian cherry liqueur (:hmmm: Could it be - Luxardo Maraschino??).

Duck Confit with Bacon and a Raspberry sauce on a tortilla chip.

Ace of Clubs - my favorite new drink of the evening (although they were all good!) and a 1930's house cocktail from a Bermuda nghtclub. Gold rum, lime juice and a hint of cacoa and bitters. Delicious!

Coconut Shrimp.

Tombstone Cocktail - way Old School revival drink. Old Overholt Rye, dash of bitters tamed with Demerara sugar.

Filet and Sweet Potato skewer.

Weeski - Jameson's Irish whisky, Lillet and a hint of orange.

Pineapple-Mango chicken skewers.

The drinks were all delicious and well prepared, and the idea of pairing cocktails with foods instead of wine or beer is an idea whose time has come. I'll be working with this concept in my head for a while and reading up so I can expand my abilities as a cocktail sommeliere. This event was a great way to introduce this idea to the general public, as well as show folks that mixing a fine well balanced cocktail doesn't have to be an intimidating experience. The other attendees looked like they were all having a great time, and overheard conversations lead me to believe there will be a whole lot more shakin' goin' on in the City of Brotherly Love.

David was incredibly charming and I'm sorry we didn't have a chance to chat some more. I hope we can remedy that on his next trip to Philly. The staff at Red Sky did a great job as well, explaining all the drinks and the food pairings expertly. This was loads of fun and I'm now marking even more pages of my copy of David's book.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

looks like great times, Katie! David's a really interesting chap to get to know. I'm sorry i never responded to your last response on my posting. we should catch up, two consultants, mono e mono, the next time i'm in philly, and your in nyc, to exchange stories. saw that you went to cocktails in the country! gary's the best. i'm his assistant here in NY, so that's how I knew. stay well!

CG:

I'm actually going next month. Really looking forward to it. I've been immersing myself (figuratively, at least) in booze lately, so I'm hoping there's still enough room left in my brain to soak up some more knowledge.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

if your out there splificator what are your specs on the ace of clubs. also do you reccomend a particular rum. it sounds interesting.

and is that the 4 and 5 katie. if so see you there.

if your out there splificator what are your specs on the ace of clubs. also do you reccomend a particular rum. it sounds interesting.

and is that the 4 and 5 katie. if so see you there.

No - the 1st & 2nd. I work during the week but not weekends. Sweet schedule!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Thanks a bunch, katie, for the shout-out--great to meet you as well (speaking of incredibly charming0 and it was fun to be down in Philly presenting cocktails, I look at it as pumping some alcohol back into a city I've pumped a good deal out of. The folks at Red Sky were nice and the bartenders were sharp and the whole event was a pleasure to put on. Next time, though, it'll have to be pints and whiskies at the Grey Lodge.

Oh, and the Ace of Clubs?

Shake well with cracked ice:

1 1/2 oz Mount Gay Eclipse rum 9or similar)

juice of 1/2 lime

1/2 oz white creme de cacao (Marie B or Bols)

dash (say, 1/2 teaspoon or so) rich simple syrup

Strain into chilled cocktail glass and let a couple of drops of Angostura bitter fall onto the surface of the drink.

I like.

aka David Wondrich

There are, according to recent statistics, 147 female bartenders in the United States. In the United Kingdom the barmaid is a feature of the wayside inn, and is a young woman of intelligence and rare sagacity. --The Syracuse Standard, 1895

Weeski - Jameson's Irish whisky, Lillet and a hint of orange.

Must... have... ratios....

I hope David will correct me if I'm wrong....

Weeski

2 ounces Irish whiskey

1 ounce blonde Lillet

1 teaspoon Cointreau

2 dashes orange bitters

Stir with ice; strain into chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a lemon twist.

A tasty libation marrying those tough flavors together seamlessly.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Katie, you are wonderful. Thanks.

All in good booze and good cheer, my friend. :smile:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

• 5 weeks later...
[...]

Oh, and the Ace of Clubs?

Shake well with cracked ice:

1 1/2 oz Mount Gay Eclipse rum 9or similar)

juice of 1/2 lime

1/2 oz white creme de cacao (Marie B or Bols)

dash (say, 1/2 teaspoon or so) rich simple syrup

Strain into chilled cocktail glass and let a couple of drops of Angostura bitter fall onto the surface of the drink.

I like.

My that is tasty! Doesn't quite knock the Floridita off the pedestal as my current fave rum cocktail; but, it will definitely go into the rotation.

Cheers!

Erik

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA