• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thanksgiving Challenge

Rebel Rose

Here's the challenge:

1. To prepare a dish that you have never attempted before.

It may be from a recipe, adapted from a recipe, or a totally new creation. It may be an appetizer, side, main, or dessert course. I recommend that we each choose a locally produced artisan food as a main ingredient.

2. To serve a wine you have never tried before with your new dish.

The wine may be simply from a new producer, but I encourage everybody to seek out a new varietal and new appellations.

Post your ideas here, and ask for advice. Then let's get together after the meal and compare notes.

Comments?

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

By "wine you've never tried before" I assume you mean exclusively producer/varietal/appellation you've never tried before. Otherwise, many of us could squeak by on a technicality by simply trying a vintage we've never tried before of a producer's wine we've sampled many times.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

New varietals on thanksgiving? Yipes. I like my pinot noir and my germanic whites, thank you very much!

Maybe Austrians instead of Germans or Alsace this year... or some Willamete Valley pinots I havent tried yet.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

This sounds fun.

I've got a new Blanquette Methode Ancestrale that I've picked up to have with dessert at Thanksgiving. The producer is new to me (can't even remember the name at the moment). Now I've just got to design a dessert for it. I'm thinking some kind of lightly macerated fruit with an herbal element to the maceration.

Jim

Jim Jones

London, England

Never teach a pig to sing. It only wastes your time and frustrates the pig.

By "wine you've never tried before" I assume you mean exclusively producer/varietal/appellation you've never tried before.  Otherwise, many of us could squeak by on a technicality by simply trying a vintage we've never tried before of a producer's wine we've sampled many times.

Right. It is a challenge, after all! :wink:

Maybe Austrians instead of Germans or Alsace this year... or some Willamete Valley pinots I havent tried yet.

That would work! I'm not asking anyone to completely step outside their comfort level, especially on a day that should be enjoyed with family.

I've got a new Blanquette Methode Ancestrale that I've picked up to have with dessert at Thanksgiving.  The producer is new to me (can't even remember the name at the moment).  Now I've just got to design a dessert for it.  I'm thinking some kind of lightly macerated fruit with an herbal element to the maceration.

Now we're talkin'. Let us know what you decide on.

Oh, and pictures will be welcome, too!

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

This sounds fun.

I've got a new Blanquette Methode Ancestrale that I've picked up to have with dessert at Thanksgiving.  The producer is new to me (can't even remember the name at the moment).  Now I've just got to design a dessert for it.  I'm thinking some kind of lightly macerated fruit with an herbal element to the maceration.

Jim,

Perhaps you have knowledge that the particular bottle in your possession is a dessert sparkler. But not all of them are. And I'm not a fan of dry bubbly with dessert. But I'm just one person. Is this one labeled "demi-sec" or "doux"?

For others reading the thread who may not know it, Blanquette Methode Ancestrale is a type of sparkling wine produced in the south of France. Most come from Limoux. Blanquette is the name of the grape (also known as Clairette), and Methode Ancestrale (also known as rural method) is the process by which the wine gets its bubbles.

Depending on who you read, Limoux has been credited with being the first region in the world to produce sparkling wine. Wines made using the rural method have their fermentation stopped by chilling the temperature. The as yet undeveloped wine is then bottled and the fermentation continues. This differs from Methode Champenoise where yeast and a sugar/wine solution is added after the base wine is bottled to produce a secondary fermentation.

Some, but not all, of the wines produced using the rural method are not filtered, and, as a result, are cloudy in their appearance.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Perhaps you have knowledge that the particular bottle in your possession is a dessert sparkler.  But not all of them are.  And I'm not a fan of dry bubbly with dessert.  But I'm just one person.  Is this one labeled "demi-sec" or "doux"?

Brad:

I'm not at all a fan of dry sparkling wine with dessert.

The back label on this one describes it as doux.

Thnaks for the heads up, though.

Jim

Jim Jones

London, England

Um, can we play even though we don't do Thanksgiving down here??

I've been on a bit of a 'new' wines blitz recently, sometimes with spectacularly screwed up results!!!! In spite of the cost associated with it all, it's been fun! The open tastings at the local wine bar have been fun too, and I believe I now know why sometimes, you simply must SPIT!

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

For others reading the thread who may not know it, Blanquette Methode Ancestrale is a type of sparkling wine produced in the south of France.  Most come from Limoux.  Blanquette is the name of the grape (also known as Clairette), and Methode Ancestrale (also known as rural method) is the process by which the wine gets its bubbles.

Depending on who you read, Limoux has been credited with being the first region in the world to produce sparkling wine.  Wines made using the rural method have their fermentation stopped by chilling the temperature.  The as yet undeveloped wine is then bottled and the fermentation continues.  This differs from Methode Champenoise where yeast and a sugar/wine solution is added after the base wine is bottled to produce a secondary fermentation.

Some, but not all, of the wines produced using the rural method are not filtered, and, as a result, are cloudy in their appearance.

In addition to what Brad describes above, the method has one more advantage. When the wines are produced doux or demi-sec, they tend to have very low alcohol. I haven't checked, but expect the one I've got lined up for Thanksgiving to be around 6-7% abv. That's a nice feature at the end of a long afternoon meal with a lot of wine.

Jim

Jim Jones

London, England

• 2 weeks later...