• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making custom molds for fondant, etc.

Jessica Parsons

I'm interested in making a press mold for fondant or modeling chocolate.

I seem to remember seeing a book once in which the author created a custom mold from a piece of costume jewelry. As I recall, she said something about using silicone or food-safe clay to make such a mold, but gave no further explanation (and even if there were any, I can't remember what the book was, anyway).

Has anyone ever done this, for cake decorating, or pehaps candymaking? Do you know of any materials that can be used for this? I've searched everywhere I can think of, and I can't seem to find anything. I've thought about using regular, hardware-store silicone out of the tube, but I'm not sure if that would work, or if it's food-safe. I've wondered the same things about "non-toxic" clays I find in craft stores, like Crayola's Model Magic. (I've ruled out polymer clays like Fimo, because I'm pretty sure they aren't food-safe.)

Any suggestions or advice?

why dont you check this out...

DEMO: Pastillage

And yes, there are many many ways to make molds. You name what shape or Idea more specific and theres plenty of suggestions we can give you and direction. Food safe sillicone is fun to play with but can get pricey if you dont know what your doin+ can really screw up.

Check arts and craft stores too. They have a lot of cool things you can use your imagination to use.

Oh, by the way, Welcome to Egullet soceity.

Edited by chiantiglace (log)

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

O.k. I need help. We had a great thread here about making molds with the author of a mold making book. The fellow who taught the guys over at the FPS. His name eludes me right now so I can't do a site search.

Surely someone else here recalls that thread. Help me out and post a link to it for Jessica, please. Also a link to his book would be helpful.

Thanks.......

I am constantly amazed by what a wonderful resource this forum is!

I did find the Michael Joy book, through chefette's link, which looks very interesting, but out of my price range for something I'm probably only going to do once or twice (but who knows?...).

The previous thread linked by nightscotsman was great! Hearing about this topic from Michael Joy himself was a treat, and the discussion of the artistic merits of using molds for competition was very, very interesting, although totally unrelated to my purposes (but that's me on the internet, come looking for one thing, find myself hours later with so much more... :blush:).

Once I knew what to search for, I found a few other links that might be useful, if anyone else is interested:

Culinart.com: Company link for the Silicone Plastique product listed in chefette's link. Includes instructions.

Alley Goop: Another clay-type silicone molding material. Shown for craft use but says it's FDA approved.

The items I'm creating/copying are not especially delicate or detailed, so I may be able to use some molding materials other than silicone, especially since I'll be pressing items in, as opposed to pouring, and won't be exposing the molds to heat.

One possibility that has just occurred to me is paraffin wax from the grocery store for about $2.50 a pound, and clearly labeled as FDA approved. (Besides, it's used for canning, so it has to be safe.)

I'm also considering some modeling clays from the craft store. Can anyone confirm this for me--if something is labeled "non-toxic," is it safe to use with food?

As I try stuff out, I'll post my results.

On the Food Network site if you go to Chocolate with Jacques Torres there is the directions for making a gelatin mold. It is for a Champagne bottle but it could be used to mold almost anything, especially if it doesn't need fine detail. The episode is called Hold Everything and there is a link to the directions called Gelatin molded Champagne bottle.

check out my baking and pastry books at the Pastrymama1 shop on www.Half.ebay.com

Jessica

Depending on what you are trying to make (how intricate, with crevices etc), and how often you will re-use the mold, you have several options, most of which are mentioned above.

Years ago I had to do quicky seashell cake, and didn't even have time to order silicone or go to the craft store for stuff. (this was before the shell molds commonly available today, and even before Rosemary Watson made her beautiful shell molds). I just used extra gumpaste: I pressed the beautiful real shells I had into a pillow of gumpaste, carefully pulled off (I dusted the shells well) and let dry overnite. Next day I used both gumpaste and fondant to quickly press into the mold and release, then let dry enough to dust with colors, and away I went! It was fast, and because the shells were only seen from the front and not the back (as they were propped against the cake, with royal icing coral pieces), it was very simple, and the effect the same as if I had used/made more expensive silicone molds.

Interestingly, I thought they would be used one or two times, but can you believe it... I still have these (now along with some of Rosemary's molds) and have used them probably 25 or more times over the last 10 years!

I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.

I have made my own mold basically copying my cameo pendant and using it as decoration on a birthday cake for someone's mom. I get my silicone mold making material from here and basically follow their instructions. Here's the link Silicone Mold making material It shows a step by step here as well. I've had success with this product and my mold is re-usable.

Diva

Gelatin! Now there's an idea I never would have considered! Here is the link for anyone interested. Don't think it'll work for press molds, though....

As for gumpaste, I had been wondering if that would work! I think I'll try a few of these ideas today (and post results, of course). If they don't work out, I think I'll order the silicone.

Thanks, everyone, for your input and advice!

That's the same stuff I use! :)

I have made my own mold basically copying my cameo pendant and using it as decoration on a birthday cake for someone's mom. I get my silicone mold making material from here and basically follow their instructions. Here's the link Silicone Mold making material It shows a step by step here as well. I've had success with this product and my mold is re-usable.