• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating New Orleans Snowballs (Pictures!)

Jason Perlow

NOTE: This topic is part of the Eating New Orleans series.

Hansen's Sno-Bliz

4801 Tchoupitoulas St.

504-891-9788

Tee-Eva's

4430 Magazine Street

504-899-8350

William's Plum Street Snowballs

1300 Burdette Street

504-866-7996

This week, Rachel and I got our required education in the New Orleans-style Sno Ball. Not Snow Cones, not Granita, but SNO BALLS.

There are probably several dozen such shops (maybe a hundred?) in the greater New Orleans area, but only a few have "legendary" status or are in the Sno Ball big leagues. The three here we have listed are in the pantheon of great Sno Ball shops. If we've missed a couple, blame Pableaux Johnson -- we simply visited the ones in his book.

Tee-Eva's probably deserves to be called more than just a Sno Ball shop, because she makes hella good made to order small-batch pralines, and she cooks creole food as well (which unfortunately, we didn't have time to try). Rachel particularly liked her lemonade flavors, having an affinity for their tartness instead of the sickly sweetness of some of the other prominent Sno Ball flavors. Tee-Eva's also has the distinction of serving Sno Balls year round, whereas many of the other shops in New Orleans are seasonal.

gallery_2_0_74505.jpg

Tee-eva's Storefront

gallery_2_0_37340.jpg

The legendary Tee-eva

gallery_2_0_30619.jpg

The flavor list

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Next to Hansens, Williams Plum Street SnowBalls is probably the greatest Sno Ball vendor in the entire city -- its list of flavors dwarfs many of its competitors, and it has the added bonus of making its own condensed milk, which has a markedly different flavor than the Eagle brand which is used by many of the shops.

I'm not sure if it is commonplace practice, but unlike Hansen's and Tee-Evas, Williams Plum Street serves its larger size Sno Balls in Chinese Food containers, which have the nasty tendancy to leak sticky drippy melting Sno Ball liquid. "Make sure you suck the liquid out of the bottom and you'll be OK" is a frequent mantra of the teenage Sno Ball jockeys at the store.

gallery_2_0_38084.jpg

(Partial!) Flavor List and gallery of syrups

gallery_2_0_66377.jpg

A professional pouring job

gallery_2_0_114250.jpg

gallery_2_0_19753.jpg

Mango with condensed milk

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Oh cool, you went to Pandora's. We tried to visit Pandora's but we got there at around 9:15 at night, just after closing. They wouldn't make us any -- so we went to Plum Street, which is actually in Pableaux's book. Pandora's appears to have a flavor list just as impressive as Plum Street's.