• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bunco at my House

daniellewiley

On the third Wednesday of every month, I participate in a Bunco club. For those not in the know, Bunco is a fun dice game that has become newly popular in recent years. I guess a lot of people played it in the 60s and 70s (in the midwest at least - none of my family in NY has ever heard of it). Here's a link:

Bunco

One of the best parts about Bunco is that it is so easy that you can chit chat and eat and drink the whole night without worrying about strategy.

The hostess of Bunco night is responsible for providing food for everyone. We generally have between 9 and 12 women. Food needs to be enough to be a dinner, but it does not need to be a formal dinner. It is usually served buffet style and then eaten at tables prior to game play begins. We've had everything from an 18 pound turkey to corned beef and cabbage to pumpkin soup. I last hosted in July, and did a Tapas theme. The menu was as follows:

Warm Marinated Olives

Manchego with Membrillo

Spiced Almonds

Sherried Mushroom Empanadas

Meatballs in Tomato Garlic Sauce

Roasted Potatoes with Alioli

Dulce de Leche Cheesecake Squares

Sangria

Everything was a hit except for the Membrillo. Well, I liked it. :biggrin:

I'm hostess again this month, on May 18, and I can't figure out what I want to serve. I, of course, want to do something impressive. I liked the tapas thing - it was fun having such a large variety of food. I don't want to do Middle Eastern. We have a huge Lebanese population here in Toledo, so it's an everyday meal around here. Any other ideas? Themes are a good thing. I'm taking the day off to cook and clean, so I do have some time on my side. Also, I have a very small oven, so I can usually fit only one item in there at a time. This might come into play when it comes time to heat up for serving. I do have two crockpots available.

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

Vodka. Lots and lots of vodka. At least that's what seems to be popular around here. Oh, and jello shots. But it doesn't sound like your crowd's as into that sort of thing.

Tapas are pretty much ideal, and I like the idea of small plates again, but this time choosing another part of the world. Maybe, hmm, Polynesian? Shrimp on skewers and macadamia nuts and pineapple and coconut sweets. Some sort of soup served in mugs is good for that sort of party. And you could serve Mai Tais with little paper umbrellas.

Can you pee in the ocean?

Mexican can be lots of fun...or rather Tex-Mex....a taco bar or enchiladas or fahitas..... regular salsa, fruit salsa, guacamole, a cassarole like chilequiles, nachos ....and Tequila!

:cool:

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Vodka. Lots and lots of vodka. At least that's what seems to be popular around here. Oh, and jello shots. But it doesn't sound like your crowd's as into that sort of thing.

Tapas are pretty much ideal, and I like the idea of small plates again, but this time choosing another part of the world. Maybe, hmm, Polynesian? Shrimp on skewers and macadamia nuts and pineapple and coconut sweets. Some sort of soup served in mugs is good for that sort of party. And you could serve Mai Tais with little paper umbrellas.

Drinking is a good thing at Bunco. Well, not for me (pregnant), but for everyone else. Themed drinks are always a hit. At our Christmas bunco, everyone (again, not me) enjoyed peppermint martinis and egg nog.

Polynesian is intriguing. I could wear my new maternity Hawaiian-style capris!

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

Polynesian is intriguing. I could wear my new maternity Hawaiian-style capris!

Bunco while pregnant seems unfair. But on the other hand you're not sweating the calories, are you?

I'd definitely design the menu around my most fetching maternity wear. Maternity Hawaiian-style capris sound just the ticket. Themed music an added bonus. Leis?

My sister fell in LOVE with the "Polynesian" cold noodles served seaside as she sunned in Hawaii. I finally duplicated the sauce, and we serve it often at dinners and parties, especially outdoor ones. Make it with or without the peanut butter, if someone's allergic.

This was our "Last of the Season" menu last Summer:

Chicken Satay

Cold Polynesian Noodles with Cucumber Slices

Spinach Tortilla Pinwheels with Cream Cheese/Chive/Jalapeno Spread

Lettuce wraps with Chicken Salad or Confetti Pilaf

Snow Peas, Grape tomatoes, Red Onion and Roasted Peppers in Sesame dressing

Ceviche, especially salmon with lime

Cold Grilled Scallops w/Dill Sauce

Pulled pork or Pork Tenderloin Medallions on Tiny Hamburger Buns

Grilled pineapple sticks with hot fudge for dipping

Puff Pastry/Marzipan/Ground Macadamia Bowties

Strawberries with Ricotta/Turbinado Dip

All except grilling Satay, medallions and pineapple are night-before if you wish. Wrap and refrigerate everything. Cut, assemble, platter and garnish day of party.

Pass the Mai Tai pitcher.

My sister fell in LOVE with the "Polynesian" cold noodles served seaside as she sunned in Hawaii.  I finally duplicated the sauce, and we serve it often at dinners and parties, especially outdoor ones.  Make it with or without the peanut butter, if someone's allergic.   

These sound FABULOUS. Can you share your recipe?

Along the Polynesian line, I found some Tropical Spring Rolls with Chile Dipping Sauce on epicurious that looked fun (and can be prepared up to 6 hours ahead). I'm also thinking that a black bean, corn, and avocado salad with orange juice vinaigrette might work as well.

This is fun! And, Therese, yes, I agree. I am all for showing off my maternity clothes, especially the ones that fit. I just had to move up a size and it was slightly traumatic, so any positive clothing experiences are welcomed. :smile:

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

This was hunt-and-peck experimentation for several tries before the taste was right, so it's a copy of a TASTE, not of an actual recipe. So I guess the Plagiarism Police won't be coming to the door.

COLD POLYNESIAN NOODLES (LoMein Salad)

1 LB. Spaghetti or Angel Hair Pasta

1/2 c. Sugar

1/4 c. Rice Vinegar

4 T. Soy Sauce

1/2 c. Oyster Sauce

1/2 tsp. Sambal or Sriracha Sauce

A 2" piece of Ginger, sliced into several discs

1 Clove Garlic, smashed and left in one piece

2 T. Dark Sesame Oil

1 T. Chunky Peanut Butter

2 T. Toasted Sesame Seeds

2 Diagonal-Sliced Green Onions, green and white

1/2 English Cucumber, halved lengthwise, sliced (plus more for garnish)

(Opt.): Enoki, Fresh Shiitake Slices, Black Sesame Seeds, Julienned Snow Peas

Cook pasta al dente in salted water. Drain, do not rinse.

Meanwhile, in small saucepan, cook sugar, vinegar, soy, oyster sauce, sambal, ginger and garlic. Simmer for 10 minutes. Remove garlic and ginger. Stir in sesame oil and peanut butter.

Put hot pasta in large heatproof bowl. Pour in sauce and toss thoroughly. Chill several hours. I store in Gallon Ziploks and turn over on shelf, but store in a covered bowl and toss once or twice, if you wish.

To serve: Toss with sesame seeds, green onions and cucumber slices. Pour onto a pretty platter; scatter enoki, shiitake, pea slivers, black sesame seeds on top, more cucumber slices around rim, maybe a tropical flower on one edge.

Serves 12--15 as a side dish.

You can hear the ukeleles playing.

I should have said "blanched snow peas." String, blanch 30 seconds in boiling water, shock in ice water, pat dry, julienne. A dozen will do for a nice garnish.

They just aren't the same raw, not that crisp green freshness, whereas a sugar-snap pea is crisp straight off the vine (which is how I REALLY like to enjoy one).

Just a note, racheld: don't forget to submit recipes to RecipeGullet, now that it's back online! If you have some time to get around to it...I'd love to find those Polynesian Noodles easily again...

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about to go do my food shopping for Bunco night. Here is the final menu:

Tropical Spring Rolls with Chile Dipping Sauce

Bajan Chicken Tenders

Polynesian Cold Sesame Noodles

Black Bean Salad

Wendy's Banana Cake with a Tropical/Fruity Frosting

Fruit Plate

Drinks:

Cucumber/Lemon Water

Red Wine

White Wine

Beer

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

I'm glad I came across this thread as I will be hosting my Bunco group next month. I like the Polynesian theme -- it would go well with my maternity Hawaiian shirt. Yup, also preggers here. No mai tais for me.

We generally go more for a snacking level of food rather than food, and guests bring beverages. Someone tried to start the potluck thing this month, to which I said "Grrrrr...." :angry: since part of the fun of Bunco is just showing up to have fun and only having to do the work when you host.

Let us know how it goes.

Bridget Avila

My Blog

I'm glad I came across this thread as I will be hosting my Bunco group next month.  I like the Polynesian theme -- it would go well with my maternity Hawaiian shirt. Yup, also preggers here.  No mai tais for me.

We generally go more for a snacking level of food rather than food, and guests bring beverages.  Someone tried to start the potluck thing this month, to which I said "Grrrrr...."  :angry: since part of the fun of Bunco is just showing up to have fun and only having to do the work when you host.

Let us know how it goes.

It's going well so far. I spent 2.5 hours prepping this morning, and I think I have everything ready. We had some cancellations, so I nixed the cake. I think the fruit plate and the chocolates that we keep on the tables will be enough anyway.

I'm off to get the rugrat - hopefully she won't mess up my clean house!!

I'll post tomorrow with results of the meal...

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

• 8 months later...

Bump!

I'm hosting again in February, and would like to start planning now. The Polynesian theme went very well.

I'd like to once again do a theme. As a reminder, I've now done Tapas and Polynesian, and Middle Eastern is out because it is so commonplace in this neck of the woods.

Bunco will be the day after Valentine's, but not sure if I want that kind of a theme. I think I prefer a regional-type thing.

Some other considerations: I need to make EVERYTHING in advance. I will not have the day off of work, and I won't be home until 90 minutes prior to bunco due to my daughter's dance class.

I'd consider doing Tapas again - that went over very well. I'm probably going to refrain from Mexican b/c I can't eat beans (I'm nursing and the baby gets SUPER gassy even when I eat a couple of beans or a bite of hummous).

Any ideas?? I like to show off, by the way. :rolleyes:

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

I'd go with another island theme, but this time someplace Caribbean. So either Cuba or Jamaica. Beans in both cuisines, but they're also easily avoided, and both feature various stewed meat dishes that can easily be done ahead of time.

I'd go with another island theme, but this time someplace Caribbean. So either Cuba or Jamaica. Beans in both cuisines, but they're also easily avoided, and both feature various stewed meat dishes that can easily be done ahead of time.

Ooh, that's a good idea - I love both cuisines.

Also, reading about stewed meat made me think of braising, and that would certainly be easy enough. I could maybe do a Jewish theme (I'm the only Jewish one in our group), so I could do a traditional Jewish brisket, a noodle kugel, etc. I think it would seem pretty exotic to some of our members.

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

Also, reading about stewed meat made me think of braising, and that would certainly be easy enough. I could maybe do a Jewish theme (I'm the only Jewish one in our group), so I could do a traditional Jewish brisket, a noodle kugel, etc. I think it would seem pretty exotic to some of our members.

That would be cool, and a nice option for cold weather.

And jello shots go well with pretty much cuisines, don't they? :wink:

That would be cool, and a nice option for cold weather.

And jello shots go well with pretty much cuisines, don't they? :wink:

Yes, and if they don't want those, I still have two bottles of Manischevitz that no one drank at Max's bris. :raz:

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

Yes, and if they don't want those, I still have two bottles of Manischevitz that no one drank at Max's bris.  :raz:

Hey, I bet you could make jello shots with Manischevitz.

You know, that would probably make the damn stuff palatable. I might just have to try it!! :laugh:

If not, I can see it taking up space in my wine cooler for the rest of my life, as I don't plan on hosting any more bris' (not sure how to pluralize that one).

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

I have been playing with some of the same ladies for about 20 years now.

One of the ones that I hosted was all dim sum: sui mai, pot stickers, curry turnovers, ribs, tea eggs, etc. Very few of us drink anymore so it's usually sodas or punch of some kind.

Kind of miss all the noise that we used to make.:biggrin:

Edited by BarbaraY (log)

I also occasionally do the Bunco thing, and here is a very easy and popular one--a baked potato bar. I just bake a ton of potatoes and get lots of nice toppings--different cheeses, fresh herbs, bacon, baby shrimp, sour cream, broccoli, butter, tomatoes, whatever! I serve a nice big tossed salad, and that's all. Everyone loves it. If I have leftover potatoes, then I will make twice baked potatoes and stick them in the freezer.

S. Cue