• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best in Tribeca Area When Dining Solo

Sneakeater

[Moderator's Note: This has been split off from the Momofuku Ko topic, where the question of where to eat solo in Tribeca was posed.]

Unfortunately, the consensus choice of best current restaurant in Tribeca, Corton, doesn't feature bar dining. I don't know about you, but I don't really enjoy eating alone at a table in the dining room (among other things, I find dining room service unbearably slow when I'm not with anyone).

It isn't a price-no-object place, but my personal solo dining favorite in Tribeca remains Bouley Upstairs.

Also, now that Christian Delouvrier is the chef at Secession, it's worth a visit. The duck confit is, based on my limited but not insubstantial experience, the best currently available in New York City.

I like the Harrison a lot -- and find the bar there an exceedingly congenial place to eat -- but it may be more of a "comfort food" type of place than you're looking for.

Tailor is two blocks north of Tribeca, in the southern part of Soho. They offer both bar snacks and the full menu at the bar downstairs. I love Tailor.

Edited by weinoo (log)

Tailor is two blocks north of Tribeca, in the southern part of Soho.  They offer both bar snacks and the full menu at the bar downstairs.  I love Tailor.

Tailor offers the full menu at the bar? Wow, I'm going to go there more often! Assuming I don't get turned away, of course :wink:

Not to continue the hijacking of the Ko thread but.... I had a wonderful experience dining alone at Tailor about a month ago when I was in town. The lounge downstairs is a great place to dine at the bar. The food was spectacular and the barmen were exceedingly nice. I highly recommend it. The bartender Ludo who was working that night was great. Be wary however, he does enjoy feeding his customers shots of whisky. :biggrin:

Edited by Swicks (log)

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields