• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sichuan Cuisine Restaurant

First off, pardon my spelling of Seschuan. I could be right, I could be wrong.

Old Seschuan Restaruant

I had a really great experience at this place on Sunday. A friend of mine took me here to try out some really great Seschuan cusine. His parents routinely go there to get authentic Chinese cuisine. I have finally found a Chinese restaruant where I was impressed all around by the quality of the food.

Besides the food, one of the best parts of this place is the location. It is directly across the street from Bahn Mi 88, so you can get some sandwiches for later after you eat! Or go check out Viet Wah. The sign does not say Old Seschuan Restaruant as it is listed in City Search, instead it says something like Chinese Seschuan Restaruant or Seschuan Chinese Restaurant. It is in the strip mall on the North-West corner of 12th and Jackson.

We had:

Special Spicy Beef Noodle

Udon (that's right Japanese Udon noodles) noodles fried with slices of beef in a spicy sauce. This dish had the texture down perfect. The Udon noodles are critical, they are just chewy enough and hold up well to the frying. I highly reccommend this one...esp at 4.95 an order.

Mongolian Beef

The Mongolian Beef was not the standard slimy, sweet, spicy beef with whole chili peppers and fried rice noodles. It was slices of beef and green onion in a rich sauce that had a very nice depth to it's sweetness. The beef was well cooked too, the texture was dead on.

Dried, Cooked String Beans

This dish is made with string beans that they dry somehow (I think they may hang them or something) until they are just starting to wrinkle on the skin. If anybody knows how to do this, please let me know. This seems to concentrate the bean flavor. The beans are then stir fried with garlic and plenty of Seschuan pepper flakes. This dish is a must get. Very very good.

One of the best things about this place is the ability to control the texture of the food. IMO, this is where most chinese places fall flat on their faces. Usually by taking shortcuts with cornstarch slurries and the like. Every single item had a lovely texture to it, perfectly suited for the dish. The beans were nicely cooked, yet still had a snap to the skin, which worked very well with the light saucing in the dish. To top all of this off, everything was cheap! Three of us got out of there for under $25 after tax and a generous tip!

I am going back soon.

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

Its official English name is Sichuanese Cuisine Restaurant. My Chinese friends call it "Lo Sichuan," but I'm guessing at the spelling.

Since you liked the green beans, next time get the "Dried-cooked String Beans" under the Chicken section. It's the same beans, but with -- you guessed it -- chicken. To answer your question about how the beans get that way: They are deep-fried.

One of my favorites is their Mandarin Spicy Chicken. The pieces of chicken are fried, and are in a spicy, slightly sweet, vinegary sauce.

It's true, it's astoundingly inexpensive. They have a branch on the east side somewhere with a bigger menu. I can find out more about that for you -- I haven't been.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Hmmm... never been to either the Seattle or Eastside locations, but friends tell me there's a good chinese restaurant on the east side with a similar name. According to Citysearch, Sichuanese Cuisine is at 15005 NE 24th. This may be in the same building as Subway, in the Sears lot or the next one east.

According to Citysearch, Sichuanese Cuisine is at 15005 NE 24th. This may be in the same building as Subway, in the Sears lot or the next one east.

hey that's definitely worth a try I'd say. its the same name.. man, if there's good sichuan food nearby, I'll be saved from those working late 'morale' dinners of dominos pizza.

Born Free, Now Expensive

Yep, the Sichuanese place at 15005 NE 24th (in Redmond) is owned by the same people as the one on 12th and Jackson. I hear that it's very popular (i.e., crowded) and a bit bigger than the one in the I.D. I asked my friend about prices, and she said the Redmond restaurant's prices are a little higher. She also said that she never orders off the menu, but instead orders from the specials written on the board. Now if you can get someone to translate the board, that would be nice . . .

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Since you liked the green beans, next time get the "Dried-cooked String Beans" under the Chicken section.  It's the same beans, but with -- you guessed it -- chicken.  To answer your question about how the beans get that way:  They are deep-fried.

in addition to probably being deep-fried, i'm guessing the beans were chinese longbeans, or yard-long beans. they're lots of fun, and often found in thai cooking.

..%5Cimages%5Cobjects%5C481.jpg

OK, I ate at the eastside one just tonight. I had the dried green beans, and the garlic eggplant. (I had 2 of the 3 dishes they recommended in the review).

The initial 2 or 3 bites I thought the flavors were fairly subdued, but as I continued, the flavors really started to grow on me. I like it! quite tasty, and it did save me from eating something really boring. :raz:

There were a lot of people in there, and a lot of people calling orders in, and a couple standing at the counter waiting to order their to-go stuff. I didn't take a look at the menu, but I'll try & go back and check out some of their other stuff.

The dried green bean thing is something they also make at Judy Fu's. They have a good version of this dish also.

Born Free, Now Expensive

• 9 months later...

I thought I'd bring this old thread up to say that I stopped by Lo Sichuan (the 12th and Jackson location) last Friday and it was great. I took the train up to help my mum out for the weekend and we didn't want to drive back to what you all refer to as the sticks in rush hour traffic. So...we drove up Jackson and hopped out to eat.

We ordered off of the posted specials, which was no small feat. First of all, I don't read Chinese characters and second of all, I pronounce everything in Cantonese or Hokkien which is a problem when you're conversing with Mandarin speakers. I had a great time convincing the waitress that we really did want to order off the wall, and I wanted her help to pick. The 2 cooks had to come over and join the conversation, especially when one of them found out my partner's grandmother and grandfather were from the same region as him. The waitress was worried that the food wasn't "for English people" but we promised we would be able to eat it. The cooks were worried it would be too spicy but I said we were used to eating Singaporean food which was very hot. The owner brought the cold dish out and said she was worried we wouldn't like it because "Americans don't like the cold dishes". We had a lovely, lovely dinner. The cold dish was honeycomb tripe and beef shin (meat +tendon) dressed with copious amounts a dressing that had chilli and sesame oil, green onions, garlic and crushed peanuts. It's better then I'm describing it, a lovely combination of textures, tang and spice, the tendon was fried or something, because it was crispy. Really good. Go get it. It's the only dish that is 4.95 on the board on the wall. For the veggie we had what she pointed to on the menu as Chinese vegetable "only grows in summer". I asked what kind and they told me in Mandarin which meant I didn't have a clue. I asked if I could see it. She brought some out, it was what I call ong choy or kangkung. When I said ong choy she said yes, and it turned out she knew Cantonese because she was from Macao (hmmm....the cooks were Hokkien cookinh Chuan food). We also had a lamb rib stew. We didn't eat much of it that day because the cold dish and ong choy were enough for lunch. We ate it the next day for lunch. It was scented with star anise and wasn't as spicy. More delicate, but good too. You guys are lucky to have good Sichuan food, I noticed it seems to be the trend, with a competing place across the street.

On the way to the train station yesterday we stopped at Bahn Mi 88 and I have to say I was pretty damn disappointed, I've had lots better. The partner says I'm biased because the guy we bought them from was a rude jackass and he pissed me off. Also, I have very little appreciation for chicken floss. The combo one was ok.

regards,

trillium

Trillium, thanks for such a great detailed post! I loved reading what you wrote.

Perhaps I will start a flurry of posts with this (heh heh heh), but I think the best banh mi is actually at Saigon Deli (the one in the strip mall by Malay Satay Hut AND the newish one on Jackson north of the Banh Mi 12th/Jackson intersection).

Of course, I wouldn't know if Banh Mi 88 has good banh mi becuase EVERY TIME I go there (multiple times), one of these things has happened:

they are closed in the middle of the day

they are out of bread and/or absolutely everything else

there is no parking in the dangerous parking lot or someone is swearing at me as I try to park my car in the bizarrely tiny parking stalls

there is a line out the door and I'm too lazy to wait

The sandwich gods are working against me.

Here's a great thread about banh mi. If you have 47 hours, you should read it (if you haven't already):

Banh mi mega thread

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

The sandwich gods are working in your favor. As a banh mi eater of the last 10 years (Coast to Coast, LA to Chicago...wait, that's Sade) I can tell you you're not missing much. Plus their stinking bubble tea didn't contain any tea, just flavored powders. That's wrong and a sin against humanity, I tell you. My mum was getting really pissed in the parking lot, and I didn't help by telling her that I TOLD her not to pull in there (think 3 lexus gas guzzlers and a delivery truck). We parked up the street. She didn't think they were that great either, but then she worked with someone who brought her sandwiches because their family owns one of the banh mi shops in the ID, of course she couldn't remember the name! We'll check out Saigon Deli next time. To be fair, I have this impossible standard when it comes to chicken ones, I want them to taste like the ones we bought at 4 in the morning from a grannie in an apartment in the heart of the Tenderloin when I was in college and had spent the whole night drinking and playing pool at Jack's. Sigh.

regards,

trillium

Trillium: The place across the street, newly opened is likely one of the best Szechuan Restaurant's in America. The couple that own, and operate the restaurant had a Restaurant in Szechuan over 20 years. There are very few owner/operators in America. They had a place previously, that they sold to employees that still pretty good in North Seattle, but the new place on the second floor of the Ding How Shopping Center is the real thing, even "Hot Pot's". Good reason to come back and visit Mom? My friend who dined there with me is the son of the former Governer of Harbin who said that it was the best Szechuan meals he's ever eaten in a restaurant.

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

Trillium: The place across the street, newly opened is likely one of the best Szechuan Restaurant's in America. The couple that own, and operate the restaurant had a Restaurant in Szechuan over 20 years. There are very few owner/operators in America. They had a place previously, that they sold to employees that still pretty good in North Seattle, but the new place on the second floor of the Ding How Shopping Center is the real thing, even "Hot Pot's". Good reason to come back and visit Mom? My friend who dined there with me is the son of the former Governer of Harbin who said that it was the best Szechuan meals he's ever eaten in a restaurant.

They're next on the list. I wish we had gone there for lunch instead of Banh Mi 88. I remember what you said from a chowhound post, but I wanted to check out the smaller place first. I have a weak spot of restaurants that look like dives. I thought it was really strange that Lo Sichuan had Hokkien/Fujian cooks cooking Chuan food, but hey, whatever works. The food was great, and you didn't have to be with the son of the former Governer of Harbin! I know, it's probably good even if you aren't, but that kind of guanxi never hurts a meal.

regards,

trillium

OK, so this sounds like a place that I'd really like to try, but I need to know the name?....please?.... :unsure:

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Sorry, knew I left something out, will try to be as careful as when i'm cooking, be sure eveything required for recipe is included before tasting, oops mean posting. "Seven Stars Pepper Szechuan Restaurant, located at 1207 South Jackson Street on the 2nd Floor, Ding How Shopping Center. Hope you Enjoy!

Laurie A-B: The new name for the Restaurant located at 212 North 85th Street, Seattle [206-781-1818] is : "Szechuan Bistro". The food is still pretty good, and I avail myself, of the Delivery Service

Just wanted to add to this thread a bit on my favorite downtown Szechuan restaurant: Chinese Wok on 4th near Blanchard (across from the Darth Vader building, a handy landmark).

The Chinese Wok used to be on Fifth and Bell or so, but disappeared temporarily. They are back in nicer space (but still somewhat small) and have the same chef, which means several superb dishes.

Kung Pao Chicken, Mongolian Beef (or Mongolian Chicken), and a heavenly dish called Triple Delight are some of the standbys. My personal favorite, Triple Delight, is a stir fry of mushrooms, water chestnuts, mini-corn cobs, snow peas, broccoli, asparagus, and green beans (depending some on what's in season), dotted with shrimp, tender sliced beef, and chicken (the Triple Delight). All ingrediants are infused in a deep, rich one-star to five-star Szechuan sauce that is to die for.

I generally accompany my lunch with a cup of their hot and sour soup, which is one of the best of this genre I've had.

The above lunch entrees are in the $5-$7 range. My total bill is usually around $8.

Going early (11:30 or so) usually ensures a table, although this place fills up fast.

Sacred cows make the best hamburger.

- Mark Twain, 1835 - 1910

• 5 months later...

"Whatcha in the mood for?" I ask.

"Cheap Chinese or Indian," Anita says, "Something bad for me with lots of white rice."

"I vote for cheap Chinese," and I'm off to eGullet to find someplace close to home (we're five minutes from the ID, fertheluvvapete) to slake the craving.

Thank you, all. We're now converts at the den of love known variously as Lo Sichuan, Sichuanese Chinese Restaurant, and That Szechuan Place on Jackson at 12th in the Strip Mall Across the Street from Bahn Mi 88.

Anita has the tea and her eybrows go up. "Hey, this is good." She's right -- there's actually a floral, nice-tea scent, instead of the classic Microwaved Lipton Flavor.

We start with hot and sour soup, plenty spicy with lotsa white pepper zing, and even better after I tap in a few drops of black vinegar from the jar on the table because I like it like that. The next dishes come in quick succession -- absolutely smoking -- out of the kitchen. The soup is hot (temperature) enough to peel paint, and not a plate lands on our table that isn't steaming. I snag a bit of plain rice, and it's worth eating all by its lonesome.

Next up is mongolian beef made sweeter than I like but still the real, garlicky deal with tons of dried, seared, chiles lying in ambush among slices of floppy (in a good way) beef. Mandarin spicy chicken (thanks, MsRamsey) is in the same league as the dry fried chicken at our fave joint in SF: sweet, spicy, and just a little crunchy. The same dried peppers abound -- oh happy day. Finally, the dry cooked beans appear, and they're perfectly cooked (soft, with just a hint of snap left) and a bit nutty.

35 bucks and we have enough left for lunch for two for Friday and Saturday.

Oh yeah. We'll be back.

c

i play the rock. you shake the booty.

Two things to add:

The service was almost impossibly nice. The ladies who run the front of the house treated us like regulars.

The standard order of dumplings and hotpot that all of the Chinese families were eating looked really yummy. I have no idea how you "do" hotpot, though... it looked like there was a definite order of meat (then eat a little) and then veggies (and then eat a little more) and then noodles (more still). Some tables would get extra meat, or more broth, or more everything.

I have an (admittedly somewhat irrational) fear of looking too much like the ignorant white person in ethnic restaurants... Anyone want to get a group of 6 or 8 together, take over the big table in the middle, and show me how it's done?

~Anita

...drooling thinking about lunch leftovers. :wub:

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

I have an (admittedly somewhat irrational) fear of looking too much like the ignorant white person in ethnic restaurants... Anyone want to get a group of 6 or 8 together, take over the big table in the middle, and show me how it's done?

Show you how to be an ignorant white person in an ethnic restaurant?....I'm your man!

I guess I'm a little confused by this thread. Are there two different Sechuan restaurants in approximately the same location that we're saying are both good or is all this talk about one place that is known by a several different names? :unsure:

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946