• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blackberry Montage

hummingbirdkiss

blackberries

gallery_51681_4569_61543.jpg

many many blackberries

the best ones are always out of reach you know ?

gallery_51681_4569_82694.jpg

mmmmm blackberries the scourge of Western Washington

more and more blackberries

gallery_51681_4569_44251.jpg

rhubarb lots and lots of freshly picked rhubarb....

gallery_51681_4569_35263.jpg

a fresh lard and butter pastry that melts in your mouth with a hint of cardamom and lots of vanilla sugar

gallery_51681_4569_23256.jpg

a cobbler from Oklahoma ....with a Northwest twist...in a bowl with heavy cream

gallery_51681_4569_282952.jpg

fin :wub:

I make wine...cobblers, crisps and pies...but would love more ideas if you have them?

thank you in advance

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Blackberry ice cream!

Blackberry coffee cake - I have several great recipes, such as "Streusel Topped Triple Berry Coffee Cake" and "Tons of Blueberries Coffee Cake." You can use blackberries in either one - will post links if you're interested.

Blackberry Swirl Cheesecake (haven't tried this yet, but it sounds great)

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

Blackberries are one of my very favorite foods. If tenacious and unruly have a flavor, it's a blackberry.  :wub: 

Blackberries, suggestions

I looked and looked baking for this thread I figured there had to be one I did not even think of looking in "Cooking"

thanks so much for the direction ..my kids are supposed to be gathering in the fall and I have to have a vast supply of blackberry desserts for them

too bad they are not here to help pick my arms are completely ripped up!!!

I need to try to make some blackberry tamales this year anyone ever do that?

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)

Piglet 

Ok, I'll bite.  What the heck are blackberry tamales?

blackberry actually any fruit tamales are made with masa and instead of a meat filling you spread the masa on the corn husk then put fruit preserves inside wrap like a tamale and steam

they are dessert tamales ..I have had some awful ones to be honest that were stuffed with lousy strawberry jam ..but I have also had some fantasitc ones with fresh fruit preserves inside them ...

I will make some next week and see how they come out! I have never made blackberry ones so this will be a new taste for me!

I am sure someone has made them however!

Canadianbakin I will make the jam and use it in the tamales!

yesterday I made some blackberry marshmallows with cardamom ..they look beautiful I have not tasted them yet

blackberry Turkish Delight with pecans and rosewater

Piglet 

Ah, what great pix, hummingbird!! My blackberry patch looks just like that, but with more poison ivy than berries.

Between the chiggers and the poison ivy, I rarely pick blackberries any more. Two rounds of prednisone this summer for PI has made me gunshy.

My mom makes a custard blackberry pie--sweet custard and tart berries--yum. I don't have the recipe right here, but she puts a layer of berries in an uncooked pie shell, and pours the custard over them. She makes rhubarb pie the same way.

sparrowgrass

I love the idea of blackberry tamales (hummingbirdkiss - we truly have similar dessert tastes!).  I would suggest infusing lemon into the masa or adding lemon curd pudding.

ok I am going to do this and that is the best idea I have heard yet ...my mouth is watering lemon curd with blackberries in a tamale ...

that is heaven in a corn husk!!! thanks!!!

Sparrow thank you as well we have no poison ivy but my arms are totally scratched ..my patients are looking at me funny it looks like I had a fight with a cat someone said :raz:

Piglet 

The tamal fans will throw corn husks at me for suggesting this, but I'm wondering if you can't make a sort of lava cake in the form of a tamal. I remember doing a lemon blackberry lava cake type thing before (have no idea where that recipe is but I think it was in Cooking Light). But imagine a lemon pudding dough with blackberries inside, then wrapped in the husk, then steamed. Cool to room temp, unwrap, and gently pierce the masa layer and have lemon blackberry ooze flow out. Whew!

And at least a few jars of clear, gently wobbly blackberry jelly to bring back warm blue summer memories on cold grey winter days.

Small jars, so you dont eat the whole stock with a spoon as soon as you open it the first time.

David Ross's clafouti recipe would be good with blackberries, I expect.

Blackberry fool - another reason to own 'ice tea' spoons.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

all these dessert ideas too bad I am working this weekend!!!

those lemon bars look fantastic!!!

I think I will make those for work on Sunday

I have a work binge next week of 6/10 hour shifts (I am too old for this anymore I tell you!!!) but there is a "nursing shortage"

after that I am going to settle in and have a day of tamale making with a couple of friends and I am going to surprise them and make some balckberry with the lemon curd as well .I am not sure if I can be as skilled as to make it like a lava cake but who knows!!!

I forgot to mention I do make blackberry cordial as well that is sooo nice in the winter I just fill a jar with vodka and blackberries then let them steep for months ...then strain and add simple syrup and any of the berries that look perfect back to the bottle

this is great cold medicine in the winter as well as being wonderful on ice cream!

this is wonderful over ice cream in the winter

Piglet