• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Toffee -- avoiding separation

JustKay

I attempted to make English Toffee for the first time today.

I have followed directions to the T and used a digital candy thermometer to monitor temperature.

The recipe is as follows :

Combine 1C butter, 1C sugar, 2Tbls water, 1/8tsp salt and bring to boil over medium heat, stirring constantly until it reaches 300F. Remove from heat and pour on a silicone mat.

1zclrtz.jpg

It's starting to boil and foams up.

1zclrwg.jpg

It's starting to separate badly here. My son came in and asked if it's alien brain I'm cooking. :wacko:

1zcls1t.jpg

Totally separated glop. :wacko:

What did I do wrong? Please help. :unsure: TIA.

It's set now and I've just tasted it. Not too bad. But it's harder than I want it to be. Not to mention it's oily.

Edited by JustKay (log)

your's looks like it has separated from the first photo. it seems like too much butter but the recipe might be worth one more try. here is my recipe. it works every time.

225g butter

300g sugar

3 Tbs corn syrup

3 Tbs water

Cook to 300 F

i stir in sliced almonds when it is done and cover it with tempered choc and fleur de sel

nkaplan@delposto.com

Purist here, I never add corn syrup to my toffee. I find that the butter melts faster than the sugar and will naturally begin to seperate as the lighter butter begins to float. Some vigorous stirring while the sugar is melting always brings it together for me.

At Passover I have to make mass quantities of matzoh crunch and I find that vigourous stirring keeps the 20 lbs or so of toffee from separating, so that's a good tip. I use a little bit of honey instead of corn syrup, as corn syrup is not ok for Passover use. The corn syrup in this recipe is likely there as an inhibitor. The more different kinds of sugar crystals in a solution, the less the chances of it's crystallizing.

I find that vigourous stirring keeps the 20 lbs or so of toffee from separating, so that's a good tip.

And I've always been told that stirring TOO vigorously can cause separation also.

Hmmm.

Talk about confusing. :wacko:

Who knows what's right anymore, eh?

For the record, I've never had any problems with separating.....I just stir it a bit about every 30 seconds or so, approximately.

I find that vigourous stirring keeps the 20 lbs or so of toffee from separating, so that's a good tip.

And I've always been told that stirring TOO vigorously can cause separation also.

Hmmm.

Talk about confusing. :wacko:

Who knows what's right anymore, eh?

For the record, I've never had any problems with separating.....I just stir it a bit about every 30 seconds or so, approximately.

I stir like a mad man till it comes together and starts to boil, then only once in a while on the way up to 270. And that's only to see if it's starting to stick.

Thanks for all the tips.

McDuff, I too stirred like a madman (madwoman in my case :raz:) at the beginning and then kept stirring till the end.

I guess I just have to try again.

nicolekaplan, I think I'll give your recipe a try the next time. Perhaps the recipe I used contained too much butter. Thanks for sharing it.

I also found some tips on baking911. Thanks Sarah!

Edited by JustKay (log)