• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sitca intensive cooking classes on Koi Samui

I'm considering taking the six day intensive, but it will eat up a huge chunk of my vacation. However, the little half day classes aren't really getting me to where i want to be (comfortable cooking Thai Cuisine). Has anyone taken these courses? Recommend them?

http://www.sitca.net/thai_cooking_school.htm

I took a four day at cordon blue in france, and loved it....

"Gourmandise is not unbecoming to women: it suits the delicacy of their organs and recompenses them for some pleasures they cannot enjoy, and for some evils to which they are doomed." Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

MetaFooder: linking you to food | @foodtwit

What's vacation? Beach? Sand? drinks with little umbrellas in them?

maybe.

Ive gone and looked at your links. fantastic.

but you have already answered your own question:

the 1/2 days do not suite you. You want something more. You have been to quality cooking schools.

This is what you should do.

Pics would be good later!

Edited by rotuts (log)

• 2 weeks later...

I took a lunch class and was impressed

DSC_3401

so I talked them into letting me do the first three days of the intensive, so I still have days for swimming and snorkeling. ;)

The food I cooked was some of the best I've eaten (other than food carts; food carts rule), so I think they know what they are doing.

Will report back, if there is interest.

"Gourmandise is not unbecoming to women: it suits the delicacy of their organs and recompenses them for some pleasures they cannot enjoy, and for some evils to which they are doomed." Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

I took three days of intensive, and loved it. we did ~10 dishes a day, but more importantly spent a lot of time on technique, on flavor combos, and basics like the core curry pastes. Working with Roogna was invaluable-- she is a very smart, professional lady and a great teacher. He staff is also pretty amazing

At the end we not only had the cookbook, but DVDS and she put everything we learned (much was new) on our own USB drives.

I'd say anyone who wants to deeply understand Thai cooking, and learn the dozens of little tricks that never end up in recipes should take the class. It's not cheap, but the classes are tiny, and she'll go as long as needed to make sure you understand it all completely.

It is geared toward professionals, so a basic understanding of knife skills, etc is needed.