• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sunday Night Wine Club

GordonCooks

Two Sundays a month, a small group of us gets together to drink by varietal or theme. Once is a while, we have a singles night to drink whatever we have kicking around our cellars or something we have only one or two of. This week's line-up was rather eclectic as always and I'll try to decipher my scribbled notes today. Any requested TNs? post away

gallery_3362_4301_50732.jpg

Krug NV

1999 Domaine LeFlaive Bourgogne

2004 Londer Gewurtztraminer

2003 Claude Chevalier Ladoix

2003 Bernard Ambroise St Romain

2002 Albert Morot Beaune Bressandes

2002 Morey St Denis Lecheneaut

1986 Chateau Rauzan Segla

2001 Gervry-Chambertin Les Courbeaux – Serfin Pere & Fils

2002 Bernard Ambroise Nuits St George

2000 Belles Soeurs “The Wild Thing”

2001 Silverado Limited Reserve

1994 Forman Cabernet

1992 Jarvis Cabernet

1996 Mondavi Reserve Cabernet

1983 Groth Cabernet from Magnum

1985 BV George LaTour

2005 Molly Dooker Enchanted Path

2003 Mitolo Serpico

1997 Il Poggione Brunello

1997 Casanova Di Neri "Cerretalto" vineyard

1983 Warre Port

2003 Chateau La Tour Blanche

Bolivar Royal Corona Robusto Habanos

Edited by GordonCooks (log)

i'd be interested in how the serafin and the morot showed.thanks.

The GV was either sleeping or flat. Non-descript, muted nose lacking any fruit "personality." It tasted balanced albeit 2 dimensional with an average finish. Don't recall the Morot off the top of my head, seems like the surprises and disappointments are in my immediate memory.

Quick Blurbs

Krug is awesome

The Londer Gewurtz is the perfect Asian food wine

The Lecheneaut Moret St Denis is drinking beautifully and got better as the night wore on

I’m not fond of Gevrey Chambertin

The Forman was still vibrant, years to go

The Jarvis was excellent, still years to go as well.

The Molly Dooker had a nose like hot-buttered popcorn

The Brunellos were old world vs new world

The Warre was incredible, cork bits and all

The LaTour Blanche drank like Rieussec - the most viscous 2003 I’ve tasted so far

"1983 Warre Port" Nice one mate, of all the branded ports Warre is my favourite and once opened it would be impolite not to finish.

Was it an LBV ?

"It's true I crept the boards in my youth, but I never had it in my blood, and that's what so essential isn't it? The theatrical zeal in the veins. Alas, I have little more than vintage wine and memories." - Montague Withnail.

:biggrin: Nice one **Thumbs up smiley**

"It's true I crept the boards in my youth, but I never had it in my blood, and that's what so essential isn't it? The theatrical zeal in the veins. Alas, I have little more than vintage wine and memories." - Montague Withnail.

:biggrin:  Nice one **Thumbs up smiley**

I should post our singles malts we had for Burns night. My first name is Gordon but Grandpa (last name Gordon) was a native Scot

An Gordonach, An Gordonach !

Edited by GordonCooks (log)

I've heard that "buttered popcorn" description of the Mollydooker before . . . what did your group think of the wine overall?

The hot buttered popcorn throws you off really. I kept bouncing between that and hot spun cotton candy. The wine is absolutely massive and needs time to relax in my opinion. It's like trying to see how many blackberries and cloves of nutmeg you cab stuff in your mouth at once. The longest finish of any wine I've had in recent memory. My memory is foggy (22 for 6 people) but I think this wine was really hot as well..if not this one, maybe the Mitolo. Tasted like 17-18%