• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Newspaper eating out offers

It was research Bapi, research, and therefore an entirely reasonable expense in the eyes of Mr Taxman.

I put that one to my accountant a few years ago. " So if run a website reviewing restaurants, clothes stores, holidays and supermarkets, can I claim it all against tax?"

His response. "Probably be ok for a year or two, then HMRC will tell you to fuck off..." He's quite direct, my accountant :laugh:

I

Edited by Infrasonic (log)

Hmmm... Eight years in and I'm still going strong. I'll give you the name of my accountant.

And, just in case anyone from the tax office is reading this, I stress restaurant visits genuinely are for research and are critical to the continued good health of my business.

Phew.

Cheers

Thom

It's all true... I admit to being the MD of Holden Media, organisers of the Northern Restaurant and Bar exhibition, the Northern Hospitality Awards and other Northern based events too numerous to mention.

I don't post here as frequently as I once did, but to hear me regularly rambling on about bollocks - much of it food and restaurant-related - in a bite-size fashion then add me on twitter as "thomhetheringto".

Hmmm... Eight years in and I'm still going strong. I'll give you the name of my accountant.

And, just in case anyone from the tax office is reading this, I stress restaurant visits genuinely are for research and are critical to the continued good health of my business.

Phew.

Cheers

Thom

:wink: Can i come and work for you?

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

You can if you can sell.

Cheers

Thom

It's all true... I admit to being the MD of Holden Media, organisers of the Northern Restaurant and Bar exhibition, the Northern Hospitality Awards and other Northern based events too numerous to mention.

I don't post here as frequently as I once did, but to hear me regularly rambling on about bollocks - much of it food and restaurant-related - in a bite-size fashion then add me on twitter as "thomhetheringto".