• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Against the grain

Norman Walsh

I have read a couple of recipes lately regarding curing meat such as corned beef and Pastrami.

What is puzzling me they both recommended that when it came to carving the meat to slice across the grain.

I always thought you sliced with not against.

I would like to know if anyone has views on this.

wallie

Definitely against. I make brisket all the time and I'm always tempted to cut with the grain, but I learned pretty quickly after ruining a few beautiful briskets to always slice against it.

Does this just apply to cured meats, as I cannot imagine cutting a fresh rolled brisket joint against the grain or a roast rib joint.

wallie

Slow cooked brisket is standard fare in Texas, and you would never find it cut with the grain' as kinsey mentioned above, it would be tough and stringy. And since corned beef is usually made from brisket, the rule applies.

Does this just apply to cured meats, as I cannot imagine cutting a fresh rolled brisket joint against the grain or a roast rib joint.

wallie

It applies to pretty much any fibrous meat that is not braised or otherwise slow-cooked into tenderness. It wouldn't make much difference on a rib, which is naturally tender and fine-grained. On a skirt or flank steak (or brisket, I'd think) it's more or less mandatory.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.