• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Williams Sonoma veal demi-glace

a la mode

I'm making a stew that calls for veal demi-glace, and I have found it at WS. It's $29. for a 10 oz jar. It says it will last 6 mos in the fridge. It seems pricey, but I don't have the time, or desire to make my own. Have any of you tried this? If I don't buy it is there a good alternative?

Thanks!

I've used all the WS demi glaces and I quite like them. They do last quite well in the fridge for a long time. Another option might be demi-glace gold, if you can find it.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

more than gourmet is the company that makes demi glace gold, i think. if you have a sur la table nearby, they sell a small "puck" of it for about $6. (demi glace does keep a very long time.)

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

more than gourmet is the company that makes demi glace gold, i think. if you have a sur la table nearby, they sell a small "puck" of it for about $6. (demi glace does keep a very long time.)

That's it! I was having a brain freeze when I posted. They do have a website and you can order online. And, they even ship to Canada.

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

i just tried that demi glace gold recently, and i thought it was fine. i've also tried the ws demi (not the veal one, though), and i would say they are comparable. like chezcherie said, i think it's very convenient that they offer single "puck" sizes. i was able to find mine at my regular grocery store.

"i dream of cherry pies, candy bars and chocolate chip cookies." -talking heads

i often disagree with cook's illustrated's comparisions, and this is no exceptioon. (that doesn't mean i don't read them...but i frequently beg to differ.)

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

Thanks for your input. I added 2 Tbs of tomato paste instead of buying the demi glace. The stew was absolutely delicious. I'd like to try it next time with the demi glace to taste the difference. If you like stew this is a good one to make! The consistancy was more like soup, so I thickened it with a little flour water when it had finished simmering. :smile:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/reci...4424F667E01903B

Thanks for your input.  I added 2 Tbs of tomato paste instead of buying the demi glace. The stew was absolutely delicious. I'd like to try it next time with the demi glace to taste the difference. If you like stew this is a good one to make!  The consistancy was more like soup, so I thickened it with a little flour water when it had finished simmering.  :smile:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/reci...4424F667E01903B

That sounds like a fine solution. Demiglace in stew seems like a silly use of resources. Stews and braises release plenty of their own savor, and part of what's great about them is that they make such great meals out of pedestrian ingredients. I'd save the demi for sauces.

FWIW, I've used the demiglace gold product a fair amount, and always thought it was just ok. Until this Christmas when I made a sauce duxelles with it, and found it to be outrageously salty. I spent most of my cooking time improvising ways to mask and balance the salt bomb I'd made, so I wouldn't have to throw the whole thing out.

Has anyone else had this experience? It was a first for me. At any rate, I've given up on all that stuff and now just make my own. Good project for a rainy weekend (rent a bunch of movies!) ... and it's way better than the commercial stuff. But not necesarilly cheaper.

Notes from the underbelly

Formaggio Kitchen makes excellent powdered demiglace, which reconstitutes instantly. It's not listed on their site, because, they say, they sell as much as they can make without advertising. Call them at 800/212-3224. I found it through an article in the NY Times several years ago and have been using it ever since. (You need a NYT subscription to view it.) It's at least as good as More Than Gourmet.

Of course, home-made is better. I use Robert Farrar Capon's method, again from the Times website.

If you want to pump up a stew with demi-glace-like flavor for a couple of dollars you can buy a quart of the beef stock now sold in aseptic box containers in most good supermarkets and reduce it down to about half a cup. It will be relatively salty, but if you're using it as an ingredient in stew just don't add any other salt until you incorporate the reduced stock and check the flavors. I use this technique occasionally when braising, if I don't have any homemade stock at hand.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Thanks for all of the great advice.

The reduced stock seems like an inexpensive and simple way to go. I think I'll try that next. Eventually, I'll try some of the products mentioned above. This is a wonderful place to learn, and I appreciate your help. :smile:

If you want to pump up a stew with demi-glace-like flavor for a couple of dollars you can buy a quart of the beef stock now sold in aseptic box containers in most good supermarkets and reduce it down to about half a cup. It will be relatively salty, but if you're using it as an ingredient in stew just don't add any other salt until you incorporate the reduced stock and check the flavors. I use this technique occasionally when braising, if I don't have any homemade stock at hand.

both whole foods and my local supermarket have started carrying frozen stock which contains no salt.

PS: I am a guy.

If you want a real Demi Glace please try culinarte bonewerkes. Website is culinarte.org

Outstanding products shipped frozen to your doorstep. I've been using all their products for quite a long time and have been very happy. These are hand made all natural products.