• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pork with Clam Variation

Daniel

Ahh the things that get me out of bed at 130 in the morning.. Adapting from the Portuguese classic recipe, I was thinking that Razor Clams and Pork Belly would be a really nice combination.. Has anyone had this or would know of a recipe.. What do you think would be the best way to have the Pork Belly.. Crispy or stewed? Or maybe just use thick squares of smoked bacon.. The base is normally a garlic wine sauce.. Should I add some Chickpeas or other beans or maybe rice.. I am thinking beans would be better.. Or should I just do oysters and pork belly instead?

If anyone has ideas I would appreciate it..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Hi Daniel - I know the feeling. I was planning some Quail recipes in bed last night. It's an addiction...

Here is a wonderful Portuguese recipe (adapted from a book called Big Flavours and Rough Edges - one of the best gastropub cookbooks - recommended)

1 kg Pork Belly, remove excessive fat, cut into 2cm dice

Some Lardo (if you can obtain, try and get it because it really improves the flavour)

Garlic cloves

1.5 teaspoon smoked paprika

0.5 bottle of white wine

Bay leaves

2 Cloves

Marinate together for 5 hours

Melt the lardo (or add olive oil) and brown the drained meat pieces. When browned add the reserved marinade and cook for half an hour or so until tender.

1kg Razor Clams

Olive Oil

Onion

Parsley

1 tbls Tomato Puree

Salt and Pepper

Fry onions and parsley until softened. Add tomato puree, simmer for 5 minutes or so. Add the cleaned clams. When alll are open add the meat, and salt and pepper.

Serve with some homemade sourdough bread and a green salad on the side. Delicious!!

Edited by joesan (log)

A choice between crispy or stewed pork belly - I would choose crispy - siu yook.

I find this cut too rich when cooked in a liquid - as I did when I braised. I would rather imagine a few thick slices of belly with a crispy crackly skin sitting on top of joesan's razor clams recipe.

1 kg Pork Belly, remove excessive fat, cut into 2cm dice

Do you mean to cut the excessive fat into dice, or the remaining lean pork into dice? Why buy pork belly if you remove excessive fat? Isn't that why we buy pork belly? :huh:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Hi Dejah - Sorry, to be clear, I mean remove some of the fat, discard it and then dice the remaining pork. I am not suggesting that all the fat is removed just some of it.

It's a matter of personal taste whether you want to keep the fat or not, some people find it too much and unhealthy. I'm recommending frying the pork in Lardo so you can guess my position!

Edited by joesan (log)

I lived in Portugal for a spell and love it's food. That is a terrific recipe and I have to make it but probably with countneck or mahogany clams instead. I make a variation of a pork/shellfish stew every few weeks but I've never used pork belly.

Ameijoas na Cataplana recipe - note the accompanying soundtrack! :laugh:

I'd like to add that the pan should be covered when the clams go in - maybe 5 or six minutes so the clams cook out and open. Another thing is to expect more juice out of those clams than you might expect.

I have to make this soon!

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Daniel, I would braise first, slice, then crisp on a grill or plancha. I would also suggest some sort of pickled veg-chickpea condiment or something. I'm really into pork belly and pickled stuff right now; the razor clams can only help matters.