• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

More Mold Making Fun

David J.

Since I just made the dice molds I thought that I would finish up a project for Valentines Day that I had originally started back for my wedding reception. Back then I didn't have silicone and was trying to make a mold via vacu-forming but ran out of time as the rest of the wedding planning took over.

I was planning on a special chocolate bar for all the guests, and I started with Sculpey clay.

gallery_40084_4224_44214.jpg

I'm no artist, so I used a cookie cutter for the base and a push mold to create the letters.

gallery_40084_4224_9925.jpg

This is the clay positive. I rolled a sheet of clay out between two bars and cut the main shape with the cookie cutter, then applied the letters and then baked the whole thing in the oven.

gallery_40084_4224_103882.jpg

Then I mixed some Playdough type silicone material, smeared some into the details, then pressed the rest over the clay form.

gallery_40084_4224_28118.jpg

Let it set, then peel out the original and you have the mold!

gallery_40084_4224_107397.jpg

Fill it. (OK, at this point I realized that I should probably have added a plaster backing for stiffness, but I was out of time. It made getting a clean back more difficult.)

gallery_40084_4224_142067.jpg

Still, it produced a passable result. (Before anyone chimes in, I know that I got the & symbol backwards. My wife happily pointed that out to me :-)

This just shows that it doesn't take much skill or effort to produce a specialty mold for a small run. You will find quite a variety of push molds at your local craft store, and I know some of you are much better sculpters than I am. So consider it next time you have a wedding reception or other special party you are making favors for.