• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

707 Restaurant

Vadouvan

a quick google search found a M.Klein Table Talk bit from 12/28/06:

"Old City awaits 707, a bistro from former Stephen Starr manager Ryan Margolis, at 707 Chestnut St."

ETA: this craigslist posting too: http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ret/277644497.html

Edited by urbanfabric (log)

• 2 months later...

I had a guest at my bar a couple of nights ago telling me it was very good. Don't think he was a shill - seemed sincere. I know the GM is the former GM from Jake's. I hope he's the one choosing the wines.

Supposed to go scope it out tonight after work with coworker. I'll let you know if I make it and what the scoop is.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Finally made it over to 707 last night for a post-shift glass of wine or two. Menu looks really interesting, but the kitchen was already closed so we didn't get to sample anything. As of tonight they'll be serving until 12:30AM.

Menu is very American. Interesting categories including Small Bites, Sandwiches, Entree Salads, and Entrees. Nothing priced over $20. Fun stuff like trio of hot dogs, Pigs in a blanket, Cobb Salad, Brick Sandwich (a Cubano by any other description), Meat loaf, etc. Very basic stuff but not things you'd normally see all on one menu. Looking forward to heading back and checking it out.

Wine selections are really interesting and well priced. I had a glass of Spanish rose ($6.50) as well as a nice glass of Gruner Veltliner ($8.50?) from Austria. Lots of unusual bottles as well. Big bucket of popcorn on the bar for munching too. :smile:

The interior of the space is really lovely with a soaring high ceiling and neat lighting fixtures. They definitely spent some cash converting the old dollar store space into a modern and sleek restaubar.

This is worth checking out again. I'm looking forward to hearing some reports from folks that actually get to eat something. I probably won't have a chance to go back until next week at the earliest. I've got a hot date with some sushi at Fuji first...

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Details? I found nothing on Philly2Nite that mentioned 707.

And yes - they're definitely going for loungey, I think.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I'd like to hear the details on the happy hour too. I live quite close and am really hoping this place could be a regular thing. Curious about the microbrews part of the happy hour equation. The biggest disappointment when I visited a little over a week ago was the beer selection. Other than the draft fat angel, I don't remember a single microbrew on tap. Perhaps the bottle selection is better.

Or maybe they'll upgrade with time. BTW I also tried the cornmeal crusted fried "green" tomatoes. They were decent, but nothing special.

I thought the place looked spectacular. They did a great job. Parked in front of a large open window on a sunny friday afternoon, drinking a beer, is just where I want to be. Don't know why more places don't have the open front windows, more like the european cafes.

Got out of work early enough last night to finally make it over to 707 before the kitchen was closed. Tried the Pig in a Blanket (one dog, wrapped in dough, cut into thirds) and the Reuben Spring Rolls. Spring rolls were truly delicious. Little side of Russian dressing to dip them in. Cute and very tasty. These rank up there with the Cheesesteak spring rolls at Davio's that are served with the spicy ketchup (Sriracha and Heinz in equal proportions). Had a couple of glasses of a very nice Syrah to accompany. I had to strain my brain a little to decide what wine paired with hot dogs. :wink:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

We went to 707 tonight for a quick meal before a 7 p.m. play.

Beautiful restaurant.

Sam had a grilled cheese sandwich with whole grain mustard and tomatoes. He said it was tasty but not enough cheese. Came with a side of good fries. $9.

I had a "small plate" of hangar steak, ordered rare. It came rare, that beautiful rare which isn't bloody, and seared well on the outside. Very tasty. There was a side of tempura onion rings, with a liquid filling of thousand island or something? $10. Not too small. Perfect.

They served Metropolitan rolls (I think), and butter.

We had a bottle of vinho verde from Portugal. Petillant, nice and low in alcohol at 9%. Delicious, light, summer wine. $32. I think that was a bit overpriced for a vinho verde, but the food was all decently priced, and I know they have to pay their rent somehow.

Very pretty restaurant. We sat in the back, white tablecloth, but waiters in black shirts and jeans. Classy, and yet they didn't mind if you ordered sandwiches. The large bar looked good to sit at, and the outside tables were bustling.

The Chef used to be at Brasserie Perrier, the waiter said.

Philly Francophiles