• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pasta Extruder

_john

I recently saw an episode of Iron Chef America where one of the chefs used a manual pasta extruder. He called it a Torchio I think. It piqued my interest in home-extruded pasta. Does anyone have a manual pasta extruder that they like? I am looking for one that can stand up to semolina and other semi-whole grains. Brass dies would also be good. recommendations?

I bought an item that was advertised as a manual pasta extruder several months ago but must admit I yet to use it. It is made by Tamboli, is brass and came with several dies. Here is a link for a similar auction on ebay: Tamboli

A quick search also turns up this Torchio Pasta Hand Press that looks like it would be able to handle a stiffer dough very easily.

N.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

I recently saw an episode of Iron Chef America where one of the chefs used a manual pasta extruder. He called it a Torchio I think. It piqued my interest in home-extruded pasta. Does anyone have a manual pasta extruder that they like? I am looking for one that can stand up to semolina and other semi-whole grains. Brass dies would also be good. recommendations?

I had an Atlas that I ended up giving away because it didn't produce what I wanted. Extruded 00 flour pastas were floppy and the ends would seal shut when I cut them off, and the semolina flour ones I tried were grainy and not very good. I experimented a lot with moisture levels and types of flour with no success. This is in direct contrast to my Atlas rolling machine that makes fantastic, tender pasta. I've read that you can't get pasta very firm with home machines because the pressure is not high enough to deal with semolina flour. I don't know if this is true or not.

-L

I had an Atlas that I ended up giving away because it didn't produce what I wanted.  Extruded 00 flour pastas were floppy and the ends would seal shut when I cut them off, and the semolina flour ones I tried were grainy and not very good.  I experimented a lot with moisture levels and types of flour with no success.  This is in direct contrast to my Atlas rolling machine that makes fantastic, tender pasta.  I've read that you can't get pasta very firm with home machines because the pressure is not high enough to deal with semolina flour.  I don't know if this is true or not.

-L

I have an Altas extruder as well and this has been exactly my experience. Every couple of years I pull it off the shelf determined to figure it out and never do. My results also have the problem of splitting down the middle if they get too dry.

Anyone who says I'm hard to shop for doesn't know where to buy beer.