• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: Recent wines

Florida Jim

2005 André et Michel Quenard, Chignin:

It seems like every time I go to the wine store I come home with a couple more bottles of this; charming aromatics of light honey, alpine flowers, ripe pears and a nice mineral water tone; terrific on the palate as it is smooth, fleshy and deep but has mouthwatering acidity that carries it through a long, fresh finish. I’d almost believe there’s some RS here but the finish is bone dry so I suspect its just really ripe fruit. 11% alcohol, imported by Kermit Lynch and about $13; a great value.

2002 Thomas, Pinot Noir (magnum):

If Mugnier made Oregon pinot noir, this is what it would taste like, with black raspberry, black cherry, mineral aromas and gentle oak; all finesse in the mouth, its got fresh, bright and layered flavors that follow the nose and its earthy accents seem to bring it together; a medium length, peppery finish. Showing quite young and absent the gunpowder scents I often get from this producer’s wines; surely it could use a decade in the cellar. But on this day it was fine accompaniment to chicken with yellow rice and black beans and delicious even without food. 13% alcohol, the magnum was about $80 on release and worth every penny.

2004 Dom. d’Aupilhac, Montpeyroux:

30% mourvèdre, 28% carignan, 25% syrah, 12% grenache, 5% cinsault; 13.5% alcohol; and, 20 months in old and new wood, this Coteaux de Languedoc is meaty, salty, black fruited juice that has good body, a worsted texture and lots of length. You can feel that it’s only showing part of what it holds but that part is very good, indeed. A wine for the cellar and for now. Imported by Kermit Lynch and about $15; stealing, at that price.

2002 Ogier, Syrah La Rosine:

Light bodied, almost delicate Côte-Rôtie-esque wine; charming in its own right but nothing serious. Good accompaniment to chicken in red sauce. 12.5% alcohol, imported by Robert Kacher and about $19 wholesale; I’d buy it again at that price.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Jim:

Those Thomas pinots are something else, aren't they? They're hard to come by in Tokyo, but when I see them, I buy. Really lovely wines.

I also wanted to thank you for your notes on the 2004 Villaine Cote Chalonnaise Les Clous. Your notes were so evocative that I had to try the wine, loved it and bought all I could find here in Tokyo. Should do well as the house pour starting in the summer of 08.

I also wanted to thank you for your notes on the 2004 Villaine Cote Chalonnaise Les Clous.  Your notes were so evocative that I had to try the wine, loved it and bought all I could find here in Tokyo.  Should do well as the house pour starting in the summer of 08.

Or 2010. That one may take awhile to come around.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com