• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

lemniscate

lemniscate

extend, not expend.

I microplane first then juice.

I have frozen the zest in ice cube trays, then bagged and broke off needed pieces when desired.

I have dried the zest and then powdered it, it's stored in a jar in the fridge.

Either way gets you zest for recipes; savory and sweet.

For drinks, I don't think there's a substitute for a fresh zest.  Freezing zest strips makes them soft and floppy.

Same for limes, there's no substitute for fresh lime section in G&T or Vodka/soda.   I've tried frozen whole limes to extend them but they are so disappointing to try to use in cocktails.

The dried orange slices are a trend for whiskey drinks around here.  I suppose dried lemon slices would work for certain bar uses.   I mainly use them for steeping in tea/water.

lemniscate

lemniscate

I microplane first then juice.

I have frozen the zest in ice cube trays, then bagged and broke off needed pieces when desired.

I have dried the zest and then powdered it, it's stored in a jar in the fridge.

Either way gets you zest for recipes; savory and sweet.

For drinks, I don't think there's a substitute for a fresh zest.  Freezing zest strips makes them soft and floppy.

Same for limes, there's no substitute for fresh lime section in G&T or Vodka/soda.   I've tried frozen whole limes to expend them but they are so disappointing to try to use in cocktails.

The dried orange slices are a trend for whiskey drinks around here.  I suppose dried lemon slices would work for certain bar uses.   I mainly use them for steeping in tea/water.