• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Urgently needed - recipe for bavois!

alibreeze

Pre-party panic is descending!

It's my partner's birthday tomorrow and he has lodged a request for bavois for dessert, perhaps a strawberry or raspberry but I feel confident about adapting any recipe (and indeed that he would enjoy almost any flavour!)

Google is short on recipes, except for this one using a wild berry "gelee". I've got no idea what that is or where to get it... does anyone know?

Is my spelling at fault or does this dessert go by a different name?

Can anyone provide a recipe, link or some other help quick smart?

How about BAVAROIS, otherwise known as Bavarian Cream?

Julia Child has a master recipe on page 596 and a strawberry/raspberry variation recipe on page 600 of Mastering the Art of French Cooking, volume 1. She also has recipes for orange, chocolate, or almond bavarois.

The strawberry/raspberry recipe is made with fresh or frozen berries. All the other ingredients should be readily available at the supermarket.

The "gelee" in the recipe you have is nothing more than gelatin. Or so I surmise. Julia has you make your own fruit-flavored gelatin in her recipe.

Edited by djyee100 (log)

I've never been a fan of fruit bavarois. Instead, I suggest you make it vanilla and serve it with fresh fruit and strawberry coulis. Here's my recipe.

Vanilla Bavarian With Berries, Kiwis and Strawberry Sauce

Serves 6 to 8

It's best to read through this recipe before starting, as there are many steps involved. Although this Bavarian is served with a fruit coulis, warm chocolate sauce would be a good accompaniment as well.

1 3/4 cups whipping cream

2 packets (2 tablespoons/14 g) powdered gelatin

1/2 cup cold water

1 vanilla bean or 1 tablespoon vanilla extract

2 cups milk

1 cup granulated sugar

7 egg yolks

4 kiwis, peeled and cut into sections

1 pint basket strawberries

1 pint basket blackberries

Prepare a 6-cup (1.5-litre) decorative metal mold by rubbing the inside with a paper towel very lightly oiled with a light flavorless oil.

In a cold stainless-steel bowl with a electric mixer, beat the whipping cream until it holds soft peaks. Refrigerate.

In a large bowl, sprinkle the gelatin on to the cold water, stir, and let soften for a few minutes.

Split and scrape the vanilla bean and place the pod and seeds into a saucepan with the milk and half the sugar. Whisk to combine and bring the mixture to a boil.

Whisk the egg yolks vigorously and gradually whisk in the remaining sugar. Beat until smooth and pale.

Whisk one-third of the boiling milk into the yolk mixture. Off heat, pour the egg mixture back into the pot of milk and return to the burner on low heat. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon until the mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon (the mixture is now at about 83 degrees F /28 C on a candy thermometer). All the foam should disappear. Do not let the mixture come to a boil! Strain immediately into the bowl of softened gelatin and stir until the gelatin has dissolved.

Set this custard mixture in an ice bath and stir constantly, scraping down the sides until it begins to thicken and is cool to the touch. Remove from the ice bath and whisk in one-third of the whipped cream. Fold in the remaining cream with a rubber spatula.

Pour the Bavarian cream into the mold, wrap with plastic and chill at least 6 hours or overnight. The cream may also be frozen, well wrapped, for up to two months.

To serve, dip the mold in warm water for a few seconds and run a knife around the sides of the mold. Place a large serving plate on the mold and invert. Shake the mold if the cream does not come out.

Decorate with slices of kiwi, strawberries and blackberries. Serve with strawberry sauce.

Strawberry Sauce

It's important to wash strawberries with their stems on, otherwise they absorb a great deal of water, which will dilute the taste of your sauce. While the kirsch in this recipe enhances the flavor of the strawberries, it is entirely optional.

4 cups strawberries, washed, stemmed and sliced

3 tablespoons granulated sugar

1 tablespoon lemon juice

1 tablespoon kirsch

Sprinkle the sugar, lemon juice and kirsch over the strawberries. Stir and refrigerate the mixture for a few hours.

Puree the mixture in a blender or food processor until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Keeps frozen for up to two months.

• 2 weeks later...

Alibreeze, I would be interested in your experience making a baravois for the first time. I've never made one, but have always been intrigued by the recipe for a pear bavarian creme in Rose Levy Beranbaum's The Cake Bible. It sounds delicious, but since patisserie is not my forte, I've been intimidated.

i would love the recipe for chocolate bavarians (white, milk, dark, etc...)

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman