• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Six Degrees of Separation Game.

David Bowie and Feta Cheese..

Don't ask me now I know this, but:

The "Best of Bowie" album released on a limited basis in Greece had a longer running time and additional tracks and is a collectors item

Feta Cheese comes from Greece

Nicole Kidman and Haggis

I think I'm going to have to take the day off work to keep track of this. I guess if someone else comes up with a path of fewer degrees, you gotta give up your points to them?

That's my understanding of the game as played in other applications. The shortest route wins the points.

Yep, I wasn't sure you knew what you were getting into.

:biggrin:

I'll help. Have to retire for the day, but will be around for the morning shift. Good thing we live in different hemispheres.

Oh, and should we add a bonus point for catching the individual actually eating the food proposed, as Scottie did?

Edited by annecros (log)

How fun! I'll take the easy one and say

Queen Elizabeth II is the Queen of Australia

Australia is one of only two continents without Nutria. (The other being Antartica)

Wait - do all connections have to be food or people related?  In that case I'll need to try again.

I'm going to have to do this one a little differently:

Queen Elizabeth II visited Belize, a former British colony, in the early '80's

They eat nutria in Belize

The Queen ordered it and ate it whilst visiting there

Ever after, Nutria is known as "the Queen's Rat" in Belize

How about:

John Dillinger and a glass of milk

This was a really tough one, but I think I have it under six.

A band from New Jersey named the Dillinger Escape Plan was named after Dillinger himself. They have been dubbed the Most Dangerous Band by NME in honor of Dillinger

East Hanover, New Jersey is the HQ of the Nabisco Corporation

The Nabisco Corporation manufactures Oreo Cookies

A glass of milk is the necessary compliment to Oreo Cookies, and features in many commercials.

Edited by annecros (log)

Chavez and jellied eels:

In February 2006, Hugo Chavez told Tony Blair to "go to hell"

Tony Blair's office is in London

Jellied eels are an East London delicacy

Charles Darwin and tourtiere

Good job on the Hugo Chavez puzzle. Impressive

Charles Darwin is the originator of the theory of evolution

Inuit tribes in Northern Quebec opposed the teachings of Darwin's Theory of Evolution to Inuit Children

Tourtiere is a meat pie originating in Quebec.

Abraham Lincoln and Daikon

Still in play:

Paris Hilton and botarga

Samuel Pepys and Hamburgers.

Bob Dylan and caviar

Rembrandt and chutney (any flavour!)

Martin Luther King, Jr., and lutefisk

Nicole Kidman and Haggis

Have fun.

What an amazing contest (or should that be what amazing contestants)!!. Three degrees only in most of them. Keep it up. Where are the rest of you? Lurking in admiration I suspect.

That would be me... lurking in admiration. I've always been terrible at this game when we do movies, although my husband has *never* yet been stumped... I don't know how you do it so easily, especially with food! Jeepers! Very impressive!

(And a great idea!)

A quick tip for lukers who might want to play.

Google and Wikipedia are your friends.

Research is not cheating, the connections do not have to spring full blown from your brow! If you sort of remember something, look it up and confirm it.

In Zadie Smith's book 'On Beauty', the central character is a professor called Howard Belsey who is writing a paper on Rembrandt and one of Belsey's students sends up her professor's classes by comparing them to aspects of tomatoes. 'to properly understand the tomato you first have to understand the tomato's herstory', so tomato chutney and Rembrandt......sorry a bit tenuous

Samuel Pepys and Hamburgers.

1. Samuel Pepys wrote his diary during a terrible outbreak of the Plague which makes you sick.

Hamburgers, when cooked to rare or medium rare, if prepared with tainted meat, contain e-coli.

E-coli makes you sick.

2. The benefactor of Pepys was Sir Edward Mountagu, the Earl of Sandwich. Hamburgers are sandwiches.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

annecros, nice connection, though different from what I came up with.

Should I spill the beans? (or milk, in this case) Or is someone else attempting to answer this?

Hint: the connections are film-related

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

annecros, nice connection, though different from what I came up with.

Should I spill the beans? (or milk, in this case) Or is someone else attempting to answer this?

Hint: the connections are film-related

Give it a little time. If someone can do better than me, then they deserve my points!

Fun.

Are you talking about Pinochet and yak milk?? Spanish courts have been investigating genocide in Tibet, therefore yak milk, therefore Pinochet also investigated in Spain for crimes against humanity

Are you talking about Pinochet and yak milk?? Spanish courts have been investigating genocide in Tibet, therefore yak milk, therefore Pinochet also investigated in Spain for crimes against humanity

You are obviously good at this. Have any new puzzles to throw into the mix?

I think Tolliver is referring to Dillinger and a glass of milk.

Edited by annecros (log)

In play:

Paris Hilton and botarga (this is growing whiskers, would someone please put Paris out of her misery?)

Bob Dylan and caviar

Thaksin Shinawatara and injera (good one)

New challenges to keep six in circulation:

Ghengis Kahn and Spam

Brad Pitt and Wattle Seed

Edited by annecros (log)

Paris Hilton and botarga (this is growing whiskers, would someone please put Paris out of her misery?)

Pamela Anderson was reported to have been vacationing in Portocervo, Sardinia on one of the celebrity sites I just googled.

Botarga is a regional specialty of Sardinia.

Both Pamela Anderson and Paris Hilton have maintained their public profiles, in part, due to videos of their sexual activity on the internet.

OR

Paris Hilton appeared in Tokyo plugging her wonderful CD.

Danny Meyer is reported to be opening another Union Square Cafe in Tokyo.

Botarga is served on spaghetti at Union Square Cafe.

OR

Paris Hilton is friends with Ivana Trump's daughter.

Ivana Trump has been photographed partying in Sardinia w her Italian honey.

OR

Paris Hilton appeared briefly in Lost in Translation, a movie directed by Sofia Coppola.

Sofia's family is into wine and not just film.

Bottarga is consumed with wine, sometimes while watching film.

OR

Botarga is made from dried-up mullet roe, i.e. clusters of fresh, young eggs that have aged.

One day, we will no longer have to hear anything about Paris Hilton anymore since all we care about are fresh, young things, and thus, as she ages, her fame, too, shall dry up.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

OR

OR

OR

OR

Thankyou

Thankyou

Thankyou

Thankyou

The less we must consider Paris, the better I suppose. I would have thought something close would have come out of the hotel chain, however.

Can you fill the empty slot with something more relevant?

Botarga is made from dried-up mullet roe, i.e. clusters of fresh, young eggs that have aged.

One day, we will no longer have to hear anything about Paris Hilton anymore since all we care about are fresh, young things, and thus, as she ages, her fame, too, shall dry up.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

This is so good I think it deserves an extra discretionary point. What do you think, Anne?

You should be able to come up with a good one to fill the vacant spot Pontormo!

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday