• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What date for this edition of Harry's book?

Can anyone tell me the date of publication for the 11th edition of Harry MacElhone's ABC of ABC of Mixing Cocktails?

Failing this, can anyone give me the dates for the 10th and 12th editions of the same book?

Basically I am trying to track down the first citation for the Monkey Gland in a Harry MacElhone publication. Any help?

Cheers!

George

Here's what I have in mine. Make of it what you will.

Copyright 1919, 1986, 1996 by

Andrew MacElhone and Duncan MacElhone

First published 1919

Second edition, with additional material,

published 1986 by Souvenir Press Ltd.,43 Great Russel Street London WC1B 3PA

and simultaneously in Canada

Reprinted 1986, 1988, 1990, 1992, 1993

New edition, revised and enlarged, published 196

Reprinted 1998

Looks as if you'll need to get your hands on a few old editions of the English Catalogue of Books.

But on another note, does anyone know if this actor playing a bartender in the movie This Was Paris is THE Harry McElhone?

Even the characters name is Harry the bartender.

Rich

"The only time I ever said no to a drink was when I misunderstood the question."

Will Sinclair

Well the "Barflies and Cocktails" book is from 1927; Does this book have the Monkey Gland in it?

Yes.

aka David Wondrich

There are, according to recent statistics, 147 female bartenders in the United States. In the United Kingdom the barmaid is a feature of the wayside inn, and is a young woman of intelligence and rare sagacity. --The Syracuse Standard, 1895