• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian themed graduation party

floormee

And so begins the great tug of war... My family wishes to be a major part of my graduation (and they should be, they're family, and what's more, they've paid for my education.) My very capable, though at times zealous family has their own ideas of how they'd like to celebrate the event, and I have my own. I've resolved to try planning ahead of time in an effort to try to combine everyone's ideas into a reasonable compromise.

The idea is to have an all inclusive party, family and friends. I had an epiphany of a theme, "Bollywood Nights." I'm thinking Indian food, I'm thinking Indian decor, Hindi music, even saris.

What sort of foods should I include? What decor, or even customs should I include to give the party a really good feel? Any fun suggestions or personal experiences that might be helpful?

Thanks all!