• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Astronauts sample Haute Cuisine

johnnyd

ISS Astronauts usual Rations swaped on Sunday for... (BBC Online)

Main dishes:

Effiloché de volaille en Parmentier (shredded chicken Parmentier)

Dos d'espadon façon Riviera (Riviera style swordfish)

Volaille épicée, sauté de légumes à la Thaï (spicy chicken with stir-fried Thai vegetables)

Cailles rôties au Madiran (quails roasted in Madrian wine)

Magret de canard confit, condiment aux câpres (duck breast confit with capers)

Yum! :cool:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

What#s a "Bretonne Far Tart"?

The recipe I have for a Bretonne Far Tart specifies that first you must have a woman in Bretonne make you a tart. Then you hop onto a spaceship and go into outer space to think about it, about how very far away it is and how you will not be able to have a single bite of it.

(Cuisine minceur at its most exteme. Excellent way to save on calorie intake.)

There is another, less used recipe. Have the woman make the tart, then go into outer space and think of her instead. She, then, is the Bretonne Far Tart. :smile:

...then there's the prospect of one astronaut haling from Brittany who is conversant in "Fart Art" - a potentially explosive situation - and that part of the menu should list later.

:blink:

sorry!

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

"Fart Art" - a potentially explosive situation - and that part of the menu should list later.

:blink:

We are speaking haute here, so likely the spelling of that would be "Fart Arte", don't you think?

Yes, list later on the menu. With specification as to region of origin perhaps? One wonders about corkage fees, too.

It's Alain after all...

Ah, oui. :wub:

Does Alain serve milt sauce with any of his dishes I wonder?

More importantly, I wonder what it would be like to try to make "truite au bleu" on a spaceship in orbit.

P.S. Edit. Reminder. Always view recent photos before requesting special sauces.

Edited by Carrot Top (log)

:laugh:

Okay. I admit that the whole story sounded so. . . well. . .just slightly "off" that I didn't take it entirely seriously in some way. Didn't read the link till this morning. :rolleyes:

Though I was serious about the truite au blue. Wonder if a live fish would even stay alive in an aquarium in space.

I guess, all in all, this is very nice in ways for the astronauts. Better than eating those little packets of "space-food" that I've seen in the Discovery Store, anyway, which seem like colored bits of cardboard and mashed cotton.

But most of all I can imagine Alain, sitting at a table with a bunch of the guys, comparing new locations. "I opened in Las Vegas!" murmurs one. "Eh. Moi, I opened in Tokyo!" another guy smiles, pushing his chair onto its back legs while tossing down a Calvados. "Ah." Alain says, eyebrows raising ever-so-slightly, "But I, I have opened in Outer Space."

Heh. Top that, buddy.

Plus, it's the sort of thing to make any Mom proud. :biggrin:

... and at about $60 million a cover, Alain can lay claim to the most expensive, most exclusive seating in the world (or out of this world :raz: ) ... and that's before the bar bill ...

JasonZ

Philadelphia, PA, USA and Sandwich, Kent, UK

Well, it will be a significant step down for the next mission -- the cuisine of Rachael Ray is going up this next time.

Not your ordinary Thai-chicken-in-a-tube (Delaware News/Jounal by way of USA Today)

Apparently, they'll let just about anyone cook for the space program now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A favorite dish in Kansas is creamed corn on a stick.”

-Jeff Harms, actor, comedian.

>Enjoying every bite, because I don't know any better...