• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Year's Eve in Amsterdam

IlCuoco

Hey All,

Due to some last minute chaos, our New Year's travel plans seem to be impossible, as such we'll be in The Netherlands for the big night. I could use some suggestions. High end is fine, likely there will be 4 or 6 or us.

I know, I know, it's late. Don't get me started.

Any suggestions?

Well, at first I was going to say: poor ICuoco :raz: .

because, I thought: the Dutch don't dine out on New Years. The young & hip might spend the evenng in a bar or club, the not-so-hip of all ages stay at home, and go to / have a small party at home. At least that has been my experience. (all my life, i have been in that second category :smile:

I thought most restaurants are closed on NewYears. But today, what do I see in the paper but numerous ads for Christmas and NewYears dinners? Most of them were from the high end restaurants attached to the fancy hotels (Hilton, Amstel, etc). On the other hand, I walked past some smaller restaurants earlier this week and already saw the sign "closed for Christmas and NewYears".

So while I can't give you any first hand advice about where to eat on NewYears Eve, my advice is simply to think about where you would like to eat anyway, and then call them and see if they are open and still have a spot.

By the way, a hint when you call: NewYears Eve is called Oudejaarsavond here, which literally means OldYears Eve. January 1st is called Nieuwjaarsdag - New Years day. So be sure to make it clear that you are looking for dinner on December 31, not January 1st :smile:

Good luck and let us know where you end up!

Edited by Chufi (log)

Poor IlCuoco indeed, the loss of a lovely apartment in Rome along with the well laid plans would definitely have my sobbing in my pillow if the prospect of a guest from home hadn't put such a twinkle in the eyes of LaCuoca.

Still, thanks as always for the help. Once more, you are my Dutch bodhisattva (and, doubtless, a young and hip one)!

If you want to celebrate New-Years the Amsterdam way, head to Nieuwmarkt around midnight. This area is known as Amsterdam's Chinatown, and the Chinese residents have the best fireworks! Lots of people gather with their bottle of champagne and a coupe of glasses on the square. Noisy, crowded, but fun!

Indeed, Dutch people stay at home till midnight and then go sometimes out for dancing or watching fireworks in town.

Most trendy clubs are very expensive that day and you have to book quite in advance.

Contrary to Holland, many Belgiums do go out for dinner on New Years Eve (called Sint Sylvestre here). In Brussels mostly the high end restaurants offer special, great menus, wine included and at 00.00 champagne for all guests.

An idea to go to Brussels and spend the night there?

Best restaurant of Brussels is Sea Grill (two Michelin stars) in the SAS Hotel where I had an excellent Sint Sylvester menu two years ago. (It is a bit more classic then on a usual evening since there is a set menu adapted to the average taste, I suppose, but still very good.)