• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rescue my butterscotch sauce

LittleIsland

Well K8, the boys ate it and loved it :rolleyes: but I didn't like the graininess on my tongue ... so eventually finishing most it off was no problem but then I don't want my next batch to be the same.

Anthony, I cooked the brown sugar together with the cream and butter as the recipe specified. Boiled it for quite a while. But stirred constantly - I guess too much. The next day (before all of you replied) I put the stuff back in the saucepan and addded corn syrup and tempered in an egg - which were ingredients from another butterscotch sauce recipe - since I thought the egg might help thicken the sauce and the corn syrup might help the graininess. WRONG.

This time the stuff developed chunks of browned bits throughout - I think they were like burned bits but they didn't taste burned, they were sort of tasty, hahaha - but the lumpy stuff I eventually poured over the ice cream was definintely NOT the smooth, thick sauce I was aiming for!

And, aprilmei - straining would not have helped because the whole thing was too far gone.

Looking at most other recipes, they mostly all call for all the ingredients to be boiled together. Am I wrong in expecting to be able to produce something that looks like the stuff we can buy in the jars but that would taste infinitely better?

Next time cook the brown sugar and butter until it's homogenous(it will come to a boil somewhat). Then pour in your cream. I garuntee you will have more success.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea