• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

old spice

highchef

I saw a note in Gourmet this weekend about McCormick's site that lets you put in the date code and it will tell you how old your spices are. The newer jars are labled with use by date, but some whole spices are good for a few years and may not have the new dates on them, yet still be good. It's a good reference page for a general idea of how long you should keep them. the page is here if you'd like to check it out. It cracked me up when I saw the age of the small tins...man, if you have any of those they've got to go!

I saw a note in Gourmet this weekend about McCormick's site that lets you put in the date code and it will tell you how old your spices are. The newer jars are labled with use by date, but some whole spices are good for a few years and may not have the new dates on them, yet still be good. It's a good reference page for a general idea of how long you should keep them. the page is here if you'd like to check it out. It cracked me up when I saw the age of the small tins...man, if you have any of those they've got to go!

The date code?

I have some spices that are so old the labels don't even have a zip code!

(actually, some came with my house, and I collected others. I like the neat old metal cans!)

SB (some even still smell good :raz: )