• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Internal Temperature for a Turkey Breast

BryanZ

Hey everyone, I'm roasting a turkey breast--yes, just a breast--tomorrow for some friends. I usually roast whole turkeys or do turkey cutlets sous vide.

I usually go 160ish in the the thigh when roasting or 140 sous vide. I think for this roasted breast I want go somewhere in between.

So what's a good internal temperature for the breast alone?

Thanks.

The USDA also states that Turkey can be safe at temperatures as low as 136 as long as it is held at that temperature long enough.

Turkey is safe:

@ 140 if held at that temp for 28 minutes

@ 145 if held for 10.5 min

@ 150 if held for 3.8 min

According to this (page 5):

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OPPDE/rdad/FSISNo...ltry_Tables.pdf

So it depends on how low a temperature your oven can maintain.

What would be wrong with quickly searing the breasts in a pan and placing them in your oven for the recommended time after they have reach desired core temperature? Just as you would sous vide.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey everyone, I'm roasting a turkey breast--yes, just a breast--tomorrow for some friends.  I usually roast whole turkeys or do turkey cutlets sous vide.

I usually go 160ish in the the thigh when roasting or 140 sous vide.  I think for this roasted breast I want go somewhere in between.

So what's a good internal temperature for the breast alone?

Thanks.

The NY Times said roast the breast to 150 and let it rest. It will rise to 165, which will kill all bacteria, but will avoid drying it out to the tasteless approaching sawdust level the FDA schoolmarms recommend.