• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Carbs Needed

jwjojo

Hello,

We need help in finding a decent take out Italian or the like near the Hotel we will be staying at in Philadelphia. We do not know the city at all. We are staying at the Marriot Courtyard at 21 Juniper Street. All help will be most appreciated.

Thank you.

Tom

while i hesitate to recommend a chain, you're about 1/2 block from maggiano's in that hotel.

however, you're also 1 block from the reading terminal market. and there's no greater carb loadup than amish food. right at the corner you can get a big container of mac & cheese and some massive steak fries. right across the aisle is a bakery that sells sticky buns and various breads. a little further along is the dutch eating place where you can get chicken corn soup (a flour-thickened soup) and all sorts of bready potato-ey pasta-ey things. right around the corner from there is the pretzel place, where you can load up on the best buttery pretzels you ever had.

put it this way: a friend of mine went to a wedding out in central PA, and ordered the vegetarian entree. they gave him pasta... with a side of mashed potatoes. i told him if they didn't give him bread to soak up the sauce he got gypped out of a starch.

i know marathons start at ungodly hours, though, so i'm not sure how it's going to work for you--the terminal opens at 8.

(i feel the need to add my standard disclaimer that i kid about the central PA starch-fest because i love. it's the food i grew up on)

Edited by mrbigjas (log)

Pretty good recommendation from mrbigjas. Keep in mind that the Reading Terminal Market is shuttered by 6 p.m. most days, and the Amish are there Wednesday-Saturday only. But another two blocks away is Chinatown, with lots of spots to get noodle-based dishes and a wider range of hours.

Another carb load-up possibility at the RTM is By George: in addition to pizza, they always have some decent lasagna and similar Italian style casseroles for takeout. For lunch there's Nanee's Kitchen, a South Asian (Pakistani) counter offering various fritters and potato/bread based concoctions of high flavor.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Thank you for your suggestions. We will need to find a meal for Friday evening. Is this area a business district that caters to weekday lunches? Are there any other decent restaurants that have take out in the area? Thank you again.

We will need to find a meal for Friday evening.  Is this area a business district that caters to weekday lunches?  Are there any other decent restaurants that have take out in the area?

Although the Marriott Courtyard is in the heart of the business district, it's also close by to theater and concert venues, as well as the convention center, so there's plenty of evening dining opportunities. It's located in the very center of town (opposite City Hall which is built atop Center Square at the intersection of Broad & Market streets). Most of the possibilities are east, south and west of your hotel; not much north within walking distance.

Some possibilities:

The closest group of fun restaurants to your hotel are just three blocks away in the vicinity of 13th Street at Sansom (between Chestnut and Walnut).

El Vez, 121 S. 13th St. Stephen Starr's Mexican extravaganza. Catty-corner at 106 S. 13th is Lolita, a BYOT (Bring Your Own Tequila) establishment. After either one, cross the street for Capogiro Gelato.

Ludwig's Garden, 1315 Sansom. This German restaurant (lotsa great beer and hearty Deutsche fare) is around the corner from El Vez, Capogiro, etc.

Vintage, 129 S. 13th. I haven't tried it yet, but reports are good. It will be very busy, as will most of these establishments on a Friday night.

Some nearby pubs include Fergie's at 1214 Sansom and Moriarties at 1116 Walnut. There's also the Independence Brewpub on Filbert (underneath the Reading Terminal) between 11th and 12th Streets, which is probably the closest of all to your hotel. If you can deal with the crowds, one of the best beer selections is at Monk's, 264 S. 16th.

The Down Home Diner is open 'til 8 p.m., even though it's within the Reading Terminal Market. Entrance after 6 p.m. is on Filbert between 11th & 12th, opposite Indepence Brewpub.

Caribou Cafe, 1126 Walnut is a classic French bistro. With the nip in the air, it's time for cassoulet!

Sansom Street Oyster House, 1516 Sansom St. You want oysters? They got 'em. Do a fine job on basic fish of all sorts. Try the snapper soup (with a shot of sherry to cut the richness).

Nearby at 211 S. 15th is ¡Pasion! if you've got a hankering for ceviche and neuvo latino fare.

Along the Broad Street spine south of City Hall are generally pricier establishments (including high end chains) catering to the expense account crowd, i.e., Ruth's Chris, the Palm, McCormick & Schmitt, Capitol Grille, etc.

This is just a start, but all of these are very quick and easy walks from your hotel. And don't forget all the options in Chinatown, also very near. Lots of other options which I'm sure others will pipe in with.

Robert's Market Report

Thank you very much for that breakdown, Bob. We will be arriving Saturday night, not Friday..my mistake. We will be ordering take out, as I will have a pup with me. Any Chinatown favorites? Any other Italian choices in the area? You gotta love egulleters for their generosity of time and palate.

The closest Italian choices are the Maggianos across from the large Marriott and the Portofino on Walnut at 13th.

Maggianos probably does do takeout. I myself did carbo loading down on South Philly Italian joints before my half-marathon.

Edited by herbacidal (log)

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

If it's takeout you want, and you arrive by 3 or 4 p.m., quickly get over to the Reading Terminal Market and stock up. Lots of takeaway options there. Technically the market is open until 6 p.m. on Saturday, but the Pennsylvania Dutch vendors tend to pack up a bit before then. Still, there's plenty available. By George and Mezze (same ownership) offers salads of various Mediterranean varieties, as well as pizza. Breads of all sorts at Metropolitan and Le Bus Bakeries; sweet cupcakes and other goodies at Flying Monkey Patisserie; Pennsylvania Dutch style baked goods at Bielers; hoagies at Salumeria (my fav), Spataro's, and Carmen's; ready-to-eat and/or heat appetizers and entrees at Andro's; Middle Eastern goodies at Kamal's. There's also a salad buffet with salads and hot entrees. And you can always buy good fresh fruit for out-of-hand eating at Iovine Brothers or OK Lee produce stands. In the Pennsylvania Dutch section there's the Rib Stand for ribs and Diener's BBQ Chicken for chicken.

Over in Chinatown among establishments favored by denizens of eGullet include Szechuan Tasty House and Chung King, on opposite sides of Arch street between 9th and 10th streets (all of four-five blocks form your hotel); both will set your mouth on fire if you want it hot. I also like Rangoon on 9th Street between Arch and Race for Burmese food. I haven't been there for a few years (I've got to get back), but Indonesia on Arch between 10th and 11th does a rijkstaffel (rice table).

Robert's Market Report