• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Center City Restaurant for Saturday Night

Dish

I can't believe it, but I am drawing a blank on where to take some friends from LA (music types) to dinner on Saturday. It'll be 4 of us. They are requesting a cool atmosphere, great food, not too loud and not too stuffy. Plus, we'll need a reservation...any ideas?

Tangerine was thrown out there. But, I'm kind of over that place.

This Saturday? You mean tomorrow?

I don't know if you'd be able to get a reservation at one of the better places unless it's at 5:30 or 9:30. Anywhere in between, try someplace with 100 or more seats and bring along president Grant or Ben Franklin to slip to the right person. :biggrin:

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

Might want to try Davio's (11th? and Chestnut; Northern Italian + steakhouse) or Roy's (15th & Sansome; Pan Pacific) ... both are in former bank buildings, so the environment is cool (wood, marble; high ceilings; indirect light), not stuffy, very good food, quiet; eclectic enough that your friend's tastes should find a match on the menu. Pasion (15th between Sansome and Walnut) fits the bill as well.

Just decide soon (the next 15 minutes) and call to see who can seat you ... if this is for tomorrow night!!

Edited by JasonZ (log)

JasonZ

Philadelphia, PA, USA and Sandwich, Kent, UK

My two cents:

1. Mandoline (ask for Chef Todd and mention eGullet when you call!!), 2nd & Chestnut

2. Mercato , Spruce & Camac

3. Rx, 44th and Spruce (also mention eGullet when you call)

4. Standard Tap, 2nd and Poplar (for the jukebox AND the beer and food)

5. Amada

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

My two cents:

1. Mandoline (ask for Chef Todd and mention eGullet when you call!!), 2nd & Chestnut

2.  Mercato , Spruce & Camac

3.  Rx, 44th and Spruce (also mention eGullet when you call)

4.  Standard Tap, 2nd and Poplar (for the jukebox AND the beer and food)

5. Amada

I love Mercato, but they want a bar. I also love Pasion...But Guillermo is not there anymore.

Do you think the food is still as good? I don't know anything about Mandoline. Tell me more :)

if i was visiting, i'd want something i couldn't get anywhere else, not just the fanciest restaurant in town. i remember the last time i visited philadelphia my absolute favorite meal was scrapple breakfast.

I would love to go to Ralph's in S. Philly. But, my dining companion wants more upscale and is a vegetarian. I have a reservation at Pasion.

Fork would be a good option, too!

if i was visiting, i'd want something i couldn't get anywhere else, not just the fanciest restaurant in town. i remember the last time i visited philadelphia my absolute favorite meal was scrapple breakfast.

I would love to go to Ralph's in S. Philly. But, my dining companion wants more upscale and is a vegetarian. I have a reservation at Pasion.

Then Fork would be an excellent choice, as would Standard Tap

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

god, everything they say about us is true.

If your friend is a vegetarian take them to Horizons. There's a whole thread about it HERE. A vegan restaurant that even carnivores can enjoy. And they have a bar. Sounds like the ideal solution to your quandry.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

So where did you get the scrapple? I'm guessing either the Down Home Diner or the Melrose. Then again, Four Seasons used to scrape together their own, but not any more.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter