• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Advice on kid friendly dinning in Portland

Hi All,

Need some recommendations on kid friendly dinning in the Portland downtown area? Would prefer to stay way from restaurant chains. As well, are there any cool Thai, Vietnamese or Mexican places you'd recommend? A good family pasta joint would be awesome too. Will be in town for a couple of nights next week with the family (1 & 3 year old). They are pretty well behaved for the most parts....

Thanks in advance. :smile:

Jeff

Edited by owzer (log)

During our last visit to Portland, we took our two-year-old daughter to Pok Pok twice (because we all loved it). Very delicious Thai food. I haven't taken her to Pambiche before, but I think it would work (for lunch, because I hear they have long table waits at dinner). Wonderful Cuban menu, with fruit shakes that I go nuts for and I assume your 3-year-old would too. Both are in SE Portland (across the river from downtown). I'll try to think of some downtown spots. Sorry for no links; I want to get this reply up before said two-year-old wakes up. You might also look around at PortlandFood.org.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

During our last visit to Portland, we took our two-year-old daughter to Pok Pok twice (because we all loved it). Very delicious Thai food. I haven't taken her to Pambiche before, but I think it would work (for lunch, because I hear they have long table waits at dinner). Wonderful Cuban menu, with fruit shakes that I go nuts for and I assume your 3-year-old would too. Both are in SE Portland (across the river from downtown). I'll try to think of some  downtown spots. Sorry for no links; I want to get this reply up before said two-year-old wakes up. You might also look around at PortlandFood.org.

Thanks for the tips!

If you can think of some downtown spots, it would be much appreciated too!

For Viatnamese, check out Silk (formerly Pho Van).  It is located in the Portland Pearl District.  Great food, nice ambiance and family-friendly.    They do a really great Ginger Creme Brulee there.  :)

Cool.

Will check it out when we are downtown.

Lauro Kitchen on SE Division is really nice and I've seen many families in there. The down side is they don't take reservations, but you can pretty much get in fine if you get there by 6:00. Great adult food and kid friendly food as well.

Lauro Kitchen on SE Division is really nice and I've seen many families in there. The down side is they don't take reservations, but you can pretty much get in fine if you get there by 6:00.  Great adult food and kid friendly food as well.

What kind of food does Lauro Kitchen serve?