• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pictorial: Hong Kong Style Curry Chicken

hzrt8w

Pictorial Recipe

Hong Kong Style Curry Chicken (咖喱雞球)

Curry is originated from India. There are many adaptations in the Asian countries. The curry dishes in Japan, China, Vietnam and Malaysia all taste very different. Let me show you the Chinese adaptation of curry in Hong Kong. It is very easy to make at home.

gallery_19795_3770_25764.jpg

Serving Suggestion: 2 - 3

Preparations:

gallery_19795_3770_31630.jpg

Main ingredients (upper right, clockwise):

- 3 boneless chicken breasts, about 1 1/2 lb

- Garlic, use 3-4 cloves

- Ginger, use 1-inch in length

- Onion, use 1/2

- Some Madras curry powder

- 1 pack (16 oz) of frozen peas/carrots mix

- (Not shown) 1 small egg

Notes:

- You may use "dark meat" (chicken thigh or drumsticks), bone-in or bonless, to make this dish. You may also use other meats in making this dish.

- I sometimes use one potato in this curry dish. Slight fry the potato wedges and brown the surface first, about 10 minutes. Using green bell pepper is also popular.

gallery_19795_3770_21835.jpg

Trim off chicken fat and discard. Cut chicken breasts into large cubes.

gallery_19795_3770_6567.jpg

To marinate the chicken: simply use a mixing bowl. Add the chicken cubes. Add:

- 1-2 tsp of corn starch or potato starch

- 1/4 tsp of salt

- Break 1 small egg, use egg white only

- (Optional) 1/2 tsp of ground white or black pepper

gallery_19795_3770_15568.jpg

Mix well. Set aside for about 30 minutes before cooking.

gallery_19795_3770_15682.jpg

Peel, trim and chop the 1/2 onion into small wedges. Peel and mince 4 cloves of garlic. Grate 1-inch of ginger.

gallery_19795_3770_3095.jpg

Defrost 1 package of frozen peas/carrots. Slightly rinse them under water. Drain well. You may also use fresh peas/carrots if you like.

Cooking Instructions:

gallery_19795_3770_19086.jpg

Use a pan/wok, set stove at high. Add 3 tblsp of cooking oil. Wait until oil gets hot.

gallery_19795_3770_5367.jpg

Add the marinated chicken. Cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side. Stir well.

gallery_19795_3770_30679.jpg

Remove the chicken when it is still slightly undercooked.

gallery_19795_3770_23223.jpg

Add 2-3 tblsp of cooking oil to pan/wok. Wait until hot. Add wedged onions, minced garlic, grated ginger and sautee for a minute or two. Add 1/2 tsp of salt. Dash in 2 tsp of ShaoHsing cooking wine.

gallery_19795_3770_26391.jpg

Add 2 tsp of chili sauce (or 1 tsp of ground chayanne pepper). Stir well.

gallery_19795_3770_14088.jpg

Add 1/3 to 1/2 cup of chicken broth. Bring the mixture to a boil.

gallery_19795_3770_24984.jpg

Add 2-3 tsp of Madras curry powder. (Note: Do not add the curry powder while sauteeing the onion. Experience shows that the curry powder turns bitter if overheated with oil.)

gallery_19795_3770_15936.jpg

Add the green peas and carrots. Cook for a minute or two.

gallery_19795_3770_42729.jpg

Mix well.

gallery_19795_3770_27785.jpg

Return the pre-cooked chicken cubes.

gallery_19795_3770_7578.jpg

Stir well. Cook the chicken for another minute or two. Thicken the sauce with corn starch slurry (suggest: 1 tsp corn starch with 2 tsp of water. Adjust) to the right consistency. Transfer to a serving plate.

gallery_19795_3770_25764.jpg

Picture of the finished dish.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Thank you Hzrt8w:

This is an excellent pictorial.

Now I know what I will be having for dinner today.

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Ah Leung I noticed that you mention about not adding the curry powder when frying the onions.

As for me I always add the spices/curry powder once the onions have turned brown,I make sure the heat is turned low at that point.Personally I feel the flavour of curry does not reach its potential if you add the curry powder after adding stock/water.

Ah Leung I noticed that you mention about not adding the curry powder when frying the onions.

As for me I always add the spices/curry powder once the onions have turned brown,I make sure the heat is turned low at that point.Personally I feel the flavour of curry does not reach its potential if you add the curry powder after adding stock/water.

I think it's okay if you have reduced the heat. From my experience if I add the curry powder when the oil is really hot, it would burn the powder and leave a bitter (very) taste.

I also found that if you don't "fry" the curry powder first, it can leave a gritty texture. I think it has to mix in with the oil to get the full flavour.

And, I like my onion in big chunks, no peas or carrots, thank you. :smile:

I've been too busy making Malaysian and Thai curries lately. It's the lemongrass and lime leaves! :wub:

Edited by Dejah (log)

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I'm fascinated by how often, and in how many ways, curries have been reinterpreted in other Asian cuisines. (Not to mention the many different styles of dishes that could be called "curries" in the various regions of India.) It really is a very versatile food-concept.

I'm fascinated by how often, and in how many ways, curries have been reinterpreted in other Asian cuisines. (Not to mention the many different styles of dishes that could be called "curries" in the various regions of India.) It really is a very versatile food-concept.

Exactly mizducky,coincidentally I was discussing the different styles of curry making with my co-workers today.

I am of chinese origin but raised in India and my co workers were Jamaican and Trinidadian of chinese origin.Its amazing how each of us had a such a different style to curry making.

That looks marvelous, ChryZ! Adding tomato is interesting. I know in Indian curries, they use tomatoes often. I don't know why Chinese did not adapt that. I haven't seen tomatoes used in curry dishes in Hong Kong restaurants.

That looks marvelous, ChryZ!  Adding tomato is interesting.  I know in Indian curries, they use tomatoes often.  I don't know why Chinese did not adapt that.  I haven't seen tomatoes used in curry dishes in Hong Kong restaurants.

Thanks! No tomatoes in my curry though. Those red bits are steamed carrot cubes. My only variance from your recipe is the addition of potato chunks.

Christian Z. aka ChryZ

[ 1337 3475 - LEET EATS ] Blog