• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Birthday Dinner in NY (Italian)

raji

Hey guys -

My birthday is Thursday this week and it looks like it may be upwards of 20 or so people joining me for an intimate dinner that night 9ish followed by drinking and karaoke; I'd say 12 minimum... Most people are late 20s, early thirties. Not going Japanese, Korean, or any other Asian this year :shock: , so those of you who know my posting habits know that that leaves me relatively clueless in my own city...

So, that said, Italian would by ideal, reasonably priced such that everyone will be able to get out of there for, say, 35/40 bucks a person, including a good amount of wine. Somewhere where a $30 bottle of wine is pretty damn good. I had been meaning to check out Crispo but the size of the party quickly outgrew that place..... any ideas?

The closer to Chelsea the better, must be west side. I'm wary of getting stuck in any sort of "private room" which sometimes means the dusty windowless basement that the waiter never visits! At the end of the day, tasty food is the top priority....I guess other mediterranean would also do...

That also means I'm trying to get a large reservation on Thursday night.... most likely, not a problem?

Edited by raji (log)

Maybe Johns on 12th? (12th St. between 1st/2nd Aves) By no means a destination restaurant or fantastic food - the food is good, it's not innovative at all (it's a traditional, old school Italian chicken parm kind of place), but it's not expensive - including their wine list. I think you could get out for $40 a head easily, with sharing apps. The best part, perhaps, since you have such a large group, is that they are very accommodating for large parties on short notice and you won't be shoved into the basement. It's been there forever and looks it. If Michael Corleone came running out of the bathroom with a gun I wouldn't be shocked.

Happy Birthday!

http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/johns...reet/index.html

Edited by daisy17 (log)

I like Giorgione.. I want to say the back area which is nicely lit and has skylights would fit a party of 20.. But I would call and ask or go look for yourself.. I dont know the prices of wines, but they have some great pizza and solid risottos and fresh ingredients..

I could tell you one thing.. :biggrin: Last night, craving simple American Red Sauce found myself at Carmine's.. I havent been there since someone's 21st brithday years ago.. They definitely could accommodate the party, but the food was below that of any pizza parlor in New Jersey.

Otto is another good choice IMO but, I dont believe one could get out of there at 40 bucks a head and drink a lot..

Edited by Daniel (log)

I hear you. (Little Italy but the food is actually edible.) The only reason I mentioned it is because unfortunately I don't think many restaurants are going to be able to seat 20 people.

Piadina is on 10th between 5th and 6th, they're very nice and may be able to do a large party. Good and inexpensive. I haven't been to Le Zie but have heard good things, and it's in the neighborhood you want. Malatesta is in the W. Village and is good, and inexpensive as well. Il Bastardo on 7th/21st has a private room and my friends have enjoyed it recently, but i haven't been . . . .

I like Giorgione.. I want to say the back area which is nicely lit and has skylights would fit a party of 20.. But I would call and ask or go look for yourself..  I dont know the prices of wines, but they have some great pizza and solid risottos and fresh ingredients.. 

I could tell you one thing.. :biggrin:  Last night, craving simple American Red Sauce found myself at Carmine's.. I havent been there since someone's 21st brithday years ago.. They definitely could accommodate the party, but the food was below that of any pizza parlor in New Jersey.

Otto is another good choice IMO but, I dont believe one could get out of there at 40 bucks a head and drink a lot..

Otto..... you may have hit the nail on the head... never been but have been meaning to go, probably can't get a a reservation.. maybe I'll feign 12 and if more show, so be it....

hmm...you could show up at Otto at 7:30, put in for a table and then start drinking at those bar-tables...you'd probably get your table within a half hour.

honestly, that might be your best bet.

I suppose you could try Apizz or the like as well.

It's looking like it will be 20 people, at least - I made a reservation at Il Bastardo, so, if it works out well, Daisy thank your friends for me - I work in the area and swung by, looks innocent enough, and it's only a few blocks away from Muse Karaoke (which is my friend's Karaoke box/lounge, which I recommend to you guys because they have an extremely wide song selection unlike the other places)

35/40 is looking more like 50... they'll probably stick us with some kind of prix fixe, usually that's what a restaurant does with 12 or more...

Otto said for 12-20 it would be either 6 or 10:30PM, with that many people, I probably shouldn't chance it.

• 4 weeks later...

My sister and brother-in-law will be spending a week in Manhattan around Thanksgiving. Her birthday is actually the day after Thanksgiving. Although they have both lived in Arizona for many years, they are ex-New Yorkers. She would like to go to a non-touristy, classic red-sauce Southern Italian restaurant for her birthday- really good food, but not spending a lot of money (Del Posto would probably be out). They will be staying in lower Manhattan, but getting around shouldn't be a problem. Any suggestions?

Mark A. Bauman

My favorite Red Sauce Italian in Manhattan is a place called Gino. I did a write up of it somewhere.. Keep it mind they only take cash.. Its right by Bloomingdales.. Its old school.. My parents and grandparents use to eat here every Sunday night... Might be the best made gnocci I have ever had..http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=80186&hl=

Edited by Daniel (log)

That was actually going to be my non-jocular recommendation. I was put off, though, by the consideration that it's not Southern but rather Emilia-Romagnan. And since it's a fairly new (brand new as far as its new location is concerned) and very low-key place, whether it's "classic" depends on what Mark means by "classic".

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

I've never been there...but I had the impression it was a cheap but very decent red-sauce place...if not quite "Southern Italian."

with that said, what is their specific price range?

with care one can eat at Babbo or Del Posto, with wine, for under a $100 apiece (and could order some "red sauce" dishes)