• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Herb troubles.

jtnippon1985

Today my significant other came home from work, which would be one of the 3 main private shipping companies in the US (not going to mention which one) with about $600 worth of fresh herbs. It doesn't happen often, but sometimes there are communication problems between the shipper, the sender, and the reciever, where in the end, no one wants the package(s), and the shipper gets the order to basically destroy it/throw it away. Fresh basil, fresh tarragon, fresh sage, thyme, rosemary, parsley, and mint...pounds and pounds and pounds upon POUNDS of it. So I throw most of the other herbs in the freezer, in tightly closed freezer bags, and took 3/4 of the basil, blended it by 4 larges handfuls to 3 TBSP of EVOO and froze it in ice cube trays. Did I do the right thing with these herbs? Will I be able to use the basil-pops for anything outside of pesto?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sure. You can use the basil-pops anytime you want to add the taste of fresh basil to... well, anything! You can drizzle it on tomatoes, you can use it anywhere, any time you want. I do it all the time.

Will I be able to use the basil-pops for anything outside of pesto?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

I used to dry herbs successfully in the microwave. Haven't done so for a while but found this site - http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-8111.html - which says:

Microwave drying is a quick and easy method to dry small amounts of herbs. Lay a single layer of clean, dry leaves between dry paper towels and place them in the microwave for 1 to 2 minutes on high power. Drying will vary with the moisture content of the herb and the wattage of the microwave oven. Let the leaves cool. If they are not brittle, reheat for 30 seconds and retest. Repeat as needed. Thick leaved herbs may need to be air dried for several days before microwaving.

The herbs done like this can be easily crumbled and stored in jar in a dark place. The site has other ideas for herb preservation.

Good luck!

Blog: http://cookingdownunder.com/blog

Twitter: @patinoz

The floggings will continue until morale improves