• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tartar(e)

Bernaise

I'm sooooo in the mood for the tasty rawness of tartare and normally it is something I order in restaurants, but, I want to make it myself. I'm hoping for some advice etc.

I've seen many recipes and techniques: for example-some use raw egg, some use anchovy, some add cornichons. I would welcome fav recipes and techniques.

I don't love egg, so I was hoping I can make it without the egg including in the garnish.

Does the whole chopped egg, herbs, etc garnish have to be a part of the dish?

Served with toast points, or big flat french fries? Would zweiback or melba toast be just too sad a choice?

And best to drink with it? A deep rich red? How about a micro-brewed beer - champagne?

And last my stupid question: can you make it the day before your serve it? Or can you eat it the next day if it is leftover?

Life! what's life!? Just natures way of keeping meat fresh - Dr. who

I don't have *the* recipe, Béarnaise (if I may call you so, assuming your name is based on the sauce from Béarn). It is a matter of trying things out and finding what suits you best.

But it is truly imperative that it be served very, very soon after the meat is chopped.

Charles Milton Ling

Vienna, Austria

I'm such a tartare purist, I think I'll be useless on the recipe front, but as for technique, I have found that you can get a good chop with a food processor, if you use small (0.25-lb) batches and pulse carefully. I prefer a texture like that of coarse, cured sausage, and this can't be done with a home meat grinder. Alternatively, just go at it with a couple of big knives.

I also, believe it or not, like a raw beef mousse. This might sound a little weird, but I use heavy cream, a little white mushroom duxelle (gills removed), and a little cooked panada. Salt and finely ground white pepper, and a hint of something herbal. The tiniest pinch of rubbed sage is what I prefer, especially for its soft texture. You definitely don't want something like rosemary which will be gritty. This stuff is amazing: I call it meat butter. Try it on toast points ;-)

You have to be careful that the mixture stays cold while you work it in the food processor. If it seems to be getting warm, just stop and put the bowl into the fridge for a while, and then continue. Don't take chances: if it 'breaks' it will not have a pleasing texture.

Thomas, aka the Wired Gourmet

Okay. you don't need an egg. It's there for richness which you can replace with another fat. Say mayo. I reccomend using not the filet, but a fattier cut like the top round or sirloin.

Please do yourself a favor and make the tartar the day you plan to eat it. you probably won't kill anybody if you make it the day before but, let's err on the side of safety...

So!

Hand chopped meat (sinew and silverskin removed)

mustard

finely minced shallots

salt pepper

parsley

mayo

tomato paste (or ketchup)

finely minced garlic

salt, pepper

chives

chopped cornichons

Chopped capers

and worstschire? sauce too...

(cayenne or siracha too if you like)

You could mise the veg ingrediants the day before and buy the steak and then chop, chop, mix, ta da!!!!!

I really like my tartar with pomme gaufrette (uh, waffle chips) and some extra mustard for dipping.

and duh, this recipe is meant for you to play with...so have fun I love tartar too...

*pictures please*

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

The best we've ever had is from Schmitt's Meat Market in Nicollet, MN, because it's very simple. Just hand chopped Prime sirloin, with black pepper and finely diced onion. It's red. Traditionally served here on that rye "cocktail" bread or Tricuits. Oh, it is just wonderful.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Thanks so much everyone!

Yeah!!! no egg

I was wondering about the food processor - I have a cuisinart minichop model which I think might be perfect for small batches of meat.

Also I was thinking just a little tiny bit of planed garlic might be nice,

and what's eveyone drinking with their tartare?

Also I was thinking just a little tiny bit of planed garlic might be nice,

and what's eveyone drinking with their tartare?

I wouldn't do straight garlic. I'm traditional: raw egg yolk, Dijon mustard, a drop of Worchestershire (which gives you a little garlic and anchovy) and/or Tabasco, chopped shallot, s+p. The idea is to taste the raw beef, and that is a pretty subtle flavour; many restaurants put so much in the tartare that all you taste are the additives. Serve with fries and green salad as a main, or toast as a starter.

A nice presentation for individual plates is to serve just the meat with a little well in the middle containing a quail's egg yolk (or not, for the egg-averse), and then let everyone season their own.

I prefer to chop by hand (well, knife) and serve immediately. Obviously, you want to use the freshest beef you can get, and remove every scrap of connective tissue.

Wine-wise, the usual recommendations for tartare would be a Beaujolais or maybe a Sauvignon Blanc.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

I am huge fan of the raw meat. For beef, even when I am served it in a restaurant, I rarely eat it with the accompaniments. I usually mix them all into a msall bowl after, for a silly composed salad!

At home, I do prefer to have some balsamic vinegar, at times. I dip the tines of my fork into the vinegar, then pick up the beef. Or, a very small amount of Kosher salt, mixed sometimes with a bit of pulsed rosemary, sprinkled atop the beef. But, that is only if the beef lasts long enough to get from the chopping board to the plate!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

I must say, I am quite a purist on this one. I would recommend preparing immediately prior to eating, otherwise the meat begins to break down quickly as there is more surface area exposed to the elements. It is best to finley hand slice (using a blender can ruin the texture), and to leave the meat in the fridge until you are ready to cut and then serve. Mix the meat with finely chopped capers, cornichons or gherkin (finely chopped), finely diced shallots, tabasco, salt and pepper, and a couple of dashes of worcestershire sauce. mix with a cold spoon, plate up, and add a whole egg yolk on top (make a well in the mixture to allow this to sit on top). Serve with fresh melba toast - divine!

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

My favorite version is hand-chopped (with a knife! not the food processor!) filet, a few chopped shallots, MAYBE a couple of capers, a little olive oil, a little lemon juice, and that's it.

Believe it or not, tartare eats really well on baguette slices spread with hummus.

Jennie

capers, cornichons, shallots, a tiny smidge of anchovy, worchester if i have some, s&p, some heat(teeny bits of bird chili) a blob of dijon on the side. and oh blasphemy a little mayo in the mix too!

I have a lovely wine from the napa valley..

I'll update you on friday

thanks many times for all the feedback!