• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pate sable always sticks to my tart ring

Michael M

I think the title says it all. I have the devil of a time getting short crusts, especially p. sable, to come out cleanly from corrugated metal tart rings. Sometimes I butter them first, but recipes don't usually dictate this. What's the secret to a clean edge?!

There may be a better option than butter when it comes to greasing tart rings because, if I remember correctly, there is a component in butter which does provide 'some' 'sticking properties'.

A trick that we use at work when we make pecan nut tarts and the like is to refrigerate, or freeze, the tart in the till it's completely chilled then to heat the ring over an open flame. The open flame melts the fats in the pastry that is in contact with the ring and should allow you to lift it out more easily.

Hope that helps.