• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Desperately Seeking Duck Eggs

mikelbarnz

Try the new MT Supermarket. They have all kinds of salted ones, dunno about fresh.

Also, a few months ago at the downtown farmers market there was a vendor selling ducks. I placed an order, came back the next week and was told that he decided to stop selling his ducks as it was too much work. I'm not sure if he still sells at the market. Presumably he would have eggs.

If you find any duck eggs (or any locally raised ducks), please let me know.

The only duck eggs I have ever seen in Austin were the salted and cured variety found in Chinese supermarkets. While tastey, they are not what you are looking for.

I used to work with a woman who had a couple of ducks as pets and she brought me duck eggs a few times. I wish I were still in contact with her, so I could direct you to her. Dang. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. If you find fresh ones in a market, please let us know.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

The only duck eggs I have ever seen in Austin were the salted and cured variety found in Chinese supermarkets. While tastey, they are not what you are looking for.

I used to work with a woman who had a couple of ducks as pets and she brought me duck eggs a few times. I wish I were still in contact with her, so I could direct you to her. Dang. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. If you find fresh ones in a market, please let us know.

MT Supermarket was my last gasp, and nothing. Stacks and stacks of salted eggs, but no fresh. Hong Kong Supermarket on Research carries the incubated eggs, but again, no fresh. Maybe I'm going about this wrong, and I should just start shopping for ducks for the backyard. Don't know how the roommate (and the cats :)) would feel about that.

And as to "Why duck eggs?", I can only say "Why NOT duck eggs?"

There's a vendor at the Sunset Valley farmers market who sometimes has duck eggs. He's usually on the middle of the sourth (stadium) side of the market.

I've only bought them in the spring. I doubt he has any now because of the heat.

Wasn't trying to ensenuate that there is anything wrong with duck eggs, it's just that chicken and duck eggs are virtually identical, with the exception of yolk color and size.

Just curious if you had a special application or whatnot.

Wasn't trying to ensenuate that there is anything wrong with duck eggs, it's just that chicken and duck eggs are virtually identical, with the exception of yolk color and size.

Just curious if you had a special application or whatnot.

I was just being snarky, its all good :)

Specifically, as Kent mentioned, they are much richer, especially the yolks. One of my current projects is charcuterie, I want to make a duck pancetta, then use it in a carbonara-esque dish, featuring duck pasta, duck eggs, and duck "bacon". Should be unbelievably rich. Just can't seem to find the eggs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

MT Supermarket has fertilized duck eggs, if you're into that. I just assumed they were the plain kind until I cracked one open to make scrambled eggs this morning. Imagine my surprise! I ate it anyway, but I'm still looking for the unfertilized kind.

I've checked about every place I can think of, and nobody in Austin sells fresh duck eggs.  Anyone have an idea where I can score a dozen?

I think you should try either a 4-H club or the FFA in a high school somewhere near you. Surely there will be a source among them.