• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

More notes

Florida Jim

2002 Luneau-Papin, Muscadet Clos des Allées:

Has become a richer, fuller wine since release yet still has plenty of cut. Very good and quite refreshing. Enjoyed at a friend’s house; he was taken with the wine and wrote down the particulars – this wine can ‘convert’ those who have it. About $7 on sale; I’d pay that and more, again.

2002 Leitz, Riesling Spätlese Rüdesheimer Berg Kaisersteinfel:

A very dry, mineral driven Spätlese with considerable depth and complexity. Certainly, too young to fully assess, but already a wonderful wine with what appears to be a long shelf-life. About $25; I’d pay that again if I could find the wine.

2002 Jacky Janodet, Chénas:

Texture of linen, spiced aromatics that carry to the youthful, bright, red fruit nose. A lightweight but not a weakling with good structure and a long, detailed finish. About $13; I’d pay that again.

2004 de Villaine, Bourgogne La Fortune:

The Beaujolais of Bourgogne (weight-wise) but with fuller flavors and a silken mouth-feel. Very easy to enjoy often. About $19; I’d pay that again.

2003 Paul Lato, Syrah Bien Nacido Vnyd.:

From the Santa Maria Valley, carries 15.1% alcohol; smells and tastes like fully ripe Crozes-Hermitage, no evident oak or heat, broad in the mouth but still bright and clean and a lovely, satin finish. A delicious wine and definitely not in the ‘cocktail’ style but with this much alcohol, I would not cellar it. Price unknown; thanks Chris.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

2002 Leitz, Riesling Spätlese Rüdesheimer Berg Kaisersteinfel:

A very dry, mineral driven Spätlese with considerable depth and complexity. Certainly, too young to fully assess, but already a wonderful wine with what appears to be a long shelf-life. About $25; I’d pay that again if I could find the wine.

Not being all that familiar with rieslings, why do you consider this one too young to fully assess? What would you consider to be an appropriate age for a re-taste?

The 2004 vintage of this wine is available in Pennsylvania at about $18. Do you know if Leitz is reasonably consistent from year to year? I am familiar with various Trimbach spätlese reislings. From your description, it appears that the Leitz is drier with more mineral because I feel that the Trimbachs are quite fruit-forward with any mineral aroma and taste way in the back. Of course, I am quite a novice here!

Not being all that familiar with rieslings, why do you consider this one too young to fully assess? What would you consider to be an appropriate age for a re-taste?

Hard question.

Reticence on the nose compared to older wines of the same category, a certain sharp/hard edge to the palate and a prominent acidity despite a textural depth are, to me, indicators that this wine has not yet opened. Further, it has little evident complexity although I can discern its mineral and earth elements, mostly on the finish.

I might add that riesling from the Rheingau usually takes some time to open so the track record of the area indicates this would likely be a young wine - and I found it so.

Ideally, retasting in 3-5 years sounds appropriate but I suspect this wine will live for decades. Moreover, it gives every indication that it will develop over that time.

The 2004 vintage of this wine is available in Pennsylvania at about $18. Do you know if Leitz is reasonably consistent from year to year? I am familiar with various Trimbach spätlese reislings. From your description, it appears that the Leitz is drier with more mineral because I feel that the Trimbachs are quite fruit-forward with any mineral aroma and taste way in the back. Of course, I am quite a novice here!

IMO, Leitz is a reasonably consistent within the context of any given vintage. I do not know what 2004 was like in the area.

This bottling is quite rare; if indeed, you have it available for $18, I would try it.

We do not agree regarding the profile of Trimbach's wines. I find the Clos St. Hune and Cuvee Fredric Emile both to be bone dry examples of the grape (not to mention sourced from Alsace), whereas, most non-troken German spatlese have some residual sugar by definition. Hence, my trying to compare Trimbach and Leitz would not follow the same path that your comparison would. Although, that in itself may answer some of your questions about our respective preferences.

And BTW, I think we are all pretty much bozos on this bus. :laugh:

Best, Jim

Edited by Florida Jim (log)

www.CowanCellars.com