• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NYC's Oldest Working Bartender Celebrates 90

slkinsey

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/AP-Oldest-Bartender.html

I thought this was a nice article. Hoy Wong has been bartending for almost 60 years.

Wong, or Mr. Hoy, as he is known, has been working as a bartender for 58 years. Unless another candidate steps forward, his bosses seem safe in calling him the city's oldest bartender.

''He never misses a day,'' said Bill Liles, the Algonquin's general manager. ''If the weather's bad he shows up early. It's just really an honor to work with someone like Mr. Hoy.''

Wong's birthday is Wednesday but the Algonquin is getting a jump on the festivities by holding a party for some 350 of his friends and admirers on Tuesday in the hotel's Oak Room.

--

Yes, I believe that was in the original draft of the article:

"I can remember my first customer," said Mr. Hoy, "an nice gentleman named Rich Schulhoff ordered a Martini back in 1948. I hear he's still around... living proof that gin is a preservative."

--

Yes, I believe that was in the original draft of the article:

"I can remember my first customer," said Mr. Hoy, "an nice gentleman named Rich Schulhoff ordered a Martini back in 1948.  I hear he's still around... living proof that gin is a preservative."

Oh, I've been preserved alright! :laugh:

Edited by rich (log)

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!