• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Barcelona Restaurants in Graphic Form

Thought some of you might enjoy this Barcelona story I did for Conde Nast Traveler, which features some of the restaurants we frequently talk about here. It's done in graphic novel form so it's a bit different from the usual travel mag fare.

It ran in the June 2006 issue, but you can see it online here at my site:

http://lastmenout.com/articles.html#rafa

Hope you enjoy.

Tom

Very enjoyable!

But as a neurotic fact-checker (actually I'm having difficulty finding places open on a Sunday) my short list shows Alkimia closed on sat and Sun (and Michelin confirms this).

Have you taken 'authors licence' or is Alkimia really open on Sunday?

A fiction, yes, unfortunately, to get the place in given the constraints of the piece. Sorry if I misled. Another thing that changed since we reported the piece is the location of Colibri. That's reflected in another informational section of the piece but not in the graphic novel part. One other problem is alioli vs. aioli.

Glad you enjoyed it. Good luck finding a Sunday venue. I'll let you know if I think of anywhere worthwhile.

Tom

Tom,

This is brilliant. And I don't speak as a foodie but as comic books'editor.

The graphic line is very reminiscent of "Linea clara", a style of comics that was very popular in Barcelona in the early eighties. I wonder if your artist was aware of this, but at any rate it's really well suited to the story you are telling (and the food part is great, too, I can hear my stomach rumbling).

I'll definitely be showing this to my boss when I get back after the holidays.

Mar

P.S. I just talked to him and he thought it was great, too. Expect an email from me at the end of August, there might be a longer project in all this...

Edited by Mar Calpena (log)

Middlebrow Catalan gastronomy??????

http://baixagastronomia.blogspot.com/

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to checking out your story and I am glad I did! After I copied the images and pasted them into Word so I could magnify them, I was able to enjoy every little nuance. I olved the images of Parc Guell and the Cloisters. Surprisingly, the only two eateries that you mentioned that I have been to are Bar Pinotxo and Alkimia.

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing. I also enjoyed your other articles as well.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz