• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

King of Cheesesteaks Dead at 90

KatieLoeb

Harry Olivieri, one of the two brothers that founded the infamous Pat's King of Steaks (and arguably may have invented the cheesesteak sandwich) in South Philadelphia, has passed away at the age of 90.

News is posted HERE at the KYW1060 newsradio website.

Do you think Mr. Olivieri knew how many people would come to his humble cheesesteak stand when he and his brother Pat invented the sandwich in 1930? I suspect he may never have known how many people he touched in his own way.

Godspeed, Mr. Olivieri. You've left an indelible mark on culinary history.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

well, dang.  supposedly i'm hittin up johnny's hots for lunch tomorrow--i think rich has recommended the steaks there, so maybe i'll get one of them in his honor...

I think honoring someone deserving of a place in cheesesteak history is totally worthy. Drink a toast to him too. Preferably with a Cherry Champ soda.

Any chance I can convince you to bring me a Surf n' Turf dog to Amada when you're done with lunch? Johnny Hots is only opened when I'm at work! :angry:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Godspeed, Mr. Olivieri.  You've left an indelible mark on culinary history.

Indeed; a grease stain on the great tapestry of American cuisine. RIP.

I'll definitely drink a toast to the gentleman today...

Edited by Andrew Fenton (log)

Godspeed, Mr. Olivieri.  You've left an indelible mark on culinary history.

I can't help it--- you avoid that mark by bending at the waist and leaning out, away from your shoes...... :wink:

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)