• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Australian Wine Cheaper than Water

Rebel Rose

Okay, I admit that's a trolling subtitle, but I couldn't resist. It's almost August and the forum appears to be languishing in the summer doldrums.

Glut makes Australian wine cheaper than water

So let's hear it! What are your favorite Aussie buys, and what's the price? And is the Australian glut a significant threat to American producers?

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

Everyday drinking I'd opt for the Leashingham Classic Shiraz or Wolf Blass Gold Label Riesling. Here in B.C. Aussi wines offer outstanding value compared to Californian, Washington, or Oregon wines.

Cheers,

Stephen Bonner

Vancouver

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

About once a year I can get Annie's Lane Riesling for around $18.

Couldn't ask for more.

I am hoping the wine glut will drift over to Fance and affect the prices in the South west, but I haven't seen anything yet.

The current offering of '95 Bordeaux future by LCBO is very expensive, and I'll be looking elswhere.

This is very interesting.

The prices have not fallen much, if at all, back in Australia last time I looked. I've been away a couple of months now.

What is generally available over the Americas? Are we talking the names, like Blass, Penfolds, Annie's Lane... see, these are things I've been tending to avoid. Back home, I was drinking mainly wines from smaller producers which I've posted here before.

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

I like Yellow Tail, for a cheaper wine, even if I offend the wine snobs. Interesting article about Yellow Tail.

i agree, for large parties with people who dont know anyting about wine (or very little), but want to drink wine, i find yellow tail a consistent choice, much better than cheap american counterparts. you could do alot worse than yellow tail, even from a reputable american producer like mondavi (i just cant pallate any more woodbridge or private selection anymore, please!!).

as for other aussie wines, i find that while in america, prices are reasonable, but i am not exactly snatching up every bottle of penfolds or d'Arenberg i find, because the "better" bottles are still on par with france, america, etc.

however, whites seem to offer aot of value (Yalumba Y Series Viognier, as well as many semillions form hunter valley) for their quality.

over all, this glut of wine may sway american who focus their wine consumption on cheaper wines ($5-10) because, as stated above, i believe they have more to offer than american jug wines, and producers like yellow tail and aloce white are all over the tv nowadays, and as in all business, better advertising equals better sales..

Edited by djsexyb (log)

Grand Cru Productions

Private High End Dinners and Personal Chef Service

in Chicago, Illinois

For more information email me at:

grandcruproductions@hotmail.com

however, whites seem to offer aot of value (Yalumba Y Series Viognier, as well as many semillions form hunter valley) for their quality.

You beat me to it. The Yalumba Y Series Viognier is one of my new smmer favorites. I was just singing its praises over in the PA forum. Really great wine for the price.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol