• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Embarrassing restaurants

Speaking of Harvester, is Andy Lynes on holiday?

I used to be in the thrall of KFC when I lived in the UK. Out here in the States, the chicken comes with mashed potatoes or soggy home fries instead of the skinny chips, and there is a risk of something Americans call "gravy" - so I've finally grown out of it. I liked the Wimpy bender when I was about nine years old, which I think is forgiveable. The last Wimpy I ate, about ten years ago, prompted projectile vomiting. I doubt I will ever eat another.

Domino's pizza, preferably with lots of pepperoni, extra cheese, beers chilling in the freezer, the Simpsons on T.V. and the wife out the house.

Wilfrid and anyone else who mentioned KFC, either positively or negatively, you need to get yourselves to a Popeye's. You don't even know the bliss of over lubricated, over spiced and over crispy fast food fried chicken until you have checked out Popeye's. Plus their sides are way better than KFC, they have red beans and rice, dirty rice (that would be rice with mysterious chicken bits, should be chitlins and livers, but I would be happy if it reached that level), and the absolute greasiest biscuits I have ever had. Once for fun, I held one up and squeezed it, and watched the oil drip out onto the floor. As a kicker, if you are lucky, you will find yourself in a Popeye's that has miniature tabasco bottles instead of those crappy little plastic things that hot sauce and ketchup usually come in.

Popeye's was originally a New Orleans chain (begun by a guy named Copeland, who was for a while one of the richest black men in the States, and consistently profiled in various entrepeneur pieces). It has since been bought out I believe and spread all over the States. Generally found in poorer urban areas. However, it;s still best in Nola, where you can pick it up at the drive-thru and then head to the drive-thru daiquiri place, and ride down the road munching your chicken, pretending its ok to drink and drive if its only a daiquiri (which every real man and woman knows "doesn't really count" as alcohol, its a kids drink).

Knocks the socks off KFC or Nando's (which I love by the way, my wife was suitably embarassed when I erupted into cheers outside the Dog & Duck on Frith Street, because I had noticed that a Nando's was to open kitty corner to the pub, I followed it up with a little dance. Still dont know whether it was the Nando's or the Landlord that got my juices flowing, but I am lucky I am still married).

God bless Popeye's. On a last note, I once took a greyhound bus from NYC to L.A. (over 70 hours) and subsisted on an extra large sized bucket of Popeye's the whole way. And you know the funny thing? instead of being scorned, I was making friends. But I knew it was because everybody wanted my chicken.

Thomas Secor

Knocks the socks off KFC or Nando's (which I love by the way, my wife was suitably embarassed when I erupted into cheers outside the Dog & Duck on Frith Street, because I had noticed that a Nando's was to open kitty corner to the pub, I followed it up with a little dance.  Still dont know whether it was the Nando's or the Landlord that got my juices flowing, but I am lucky I am still married).

God bless Popeye's.

That definitely sounds like the kind of place I like to find when I've spent too long in the pub. Unfortunately, the small matter of the return airfare could prove to be a problem... :raz:

I eat KFC quite often after spending too long in the pub, especially since there's one quite conveniently between the tube station and my flat. Regardless of whatever wings/pieces/burgers they have left at that time of night, they're all great.

There was a shack en route from NOLA to Tyler, TX that sold nothing but deep fried chicken skin. Unfortunately we had already chowed down on 1lb of pork scratchings from Billy Bob's Gas Stop and Cracklin Shack or I would still be there now

I like asking the guys at Popeye's to give me the bits at the bottom of the heater, like scraps in a good northern chip shop

S

Okay.

Burger King Onion Rings. THey're so round and soooo crunchy.

KFC, natch - but only those scrawny wing pieces so I can chew all the bones. I also used to like the bright red spare ribs they used to do and which you can still find occasionally in those KFC's that aren't but have names like DFR (Dixie Fried Rat) or some such.

THose big smoked sausages they throw in the deep fat fryers north of the border.

A 12inch American hot from my nearby Pizza Chalet.

And finally

Yo Sushi. Oh the shame of it. The shame of it. I'll never be paid to eat lunch in this town again.

Jay

And finally

Yo Sushi. Oh the shame of it. The shame of it. I'll never be paid to eat lunch in this town again.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

may you never eat a free lunch in this town again.

far worse than a Little Chef or a Golden Egg

Actually, Jay you have so many other things to be ashamed of, I should not let it worry you ( Remember, POINT IT!)

S

I WASN'T RESPONSIBLE FOR POINT IT.

I WASN'T RESPONSIBLE.

NOT ME. HONEST.

Mind you, it was terribly useful when I needed to buy some very bad food in Freiburg recently, 'an I got myself a boy too. It's exactly the kind of thing you want from a fine liberal newspaper, so stop whining.

I'm guessing your ridicule is just a cover to disguise how helpful you've found it. You're probably to found on Bessborough Road every evening, clutching a copy, stopping passers by and pointing madly at the pictures of saveloys, as the saliva dribbles down your chin.

Jay

I'm guessing your ridicule is just a cover to disguise how helpful you've found it. You're probably to found on Bessborough Road every evening, clutching a copy, stopping  passers by and  pointing madly at the pictures of saveloys, as the saliva dribbles down your chin.

It wasn't saliva

( c Frankie Howerd 1973 - Whoops Bhagdad )

Am not alone on American Hots, then. Actually, I'm not ashamed of visiting PizzaExpress occasionally. Especially the Dean St branch (hello Mose Allison, hello Norah Jones for the five minutes before she became too famous). Similarly, whenever I'm in an area I don't know (or Wardour Street), I am grateful for the existence of Starbucks (double tall skinny dry cap). And I just came back from Strada, where I went alone with a book, a profound and long-ignored hunger, and one of those Time Out discount cards that gives you a 25% discount; had a starter, pizza, salad, decent filtered water and some house red for £13 including service. (Their credit card machine wasn't working so I said I'd get some cash and come back and they said fine.)

Um ...

BK Chicken Flamer, with extra onion. (Forces a fresh one, do you see?)

Lion bars, odd as I can't stand milk chocolate.

Deliverance lamb biryani.

Pret cinnamon danish.

As far as I can remember, I've never been to KFC (oh yeah: once, outside Cape Town, with an ancient Catholic priest), but it's getting more mentions here than anywhere else, so maybe I'm missing out ...

Mr. Rayner: Yo! Sushi is far too overpriced to be a guilty pleasure of this kind, surely? Or do you sometimes prefer it to decent sushi at the same price? Any particular dish do it for you?

Simon: I think you made up the Little Chef line to shock us :hmmm:

I tend to go to Yo Sushi for all the things that aren't sushi: the little bowls of teriyaki chicken that aren't really, the gyoza that are too deep fried (if such a thing is possible), the crispy fried shards of salmon.

All this said I do of course eat the sushi too. As I said, no shame.

Jay

Nothing, but nothing, beats a good ol' English unhealthy fry-up breakfast when I'm in the mood, also I agree that Pizza Express is one of the best Pizzas in England (the topping is surprisingly good even if it's not from a wood-burning) and a fresh portion of KFC can be good. I also admit to Sweet and Sour Pork occassionally. :unsure::huh: