• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What'd ya eat on the 14th?

Dave Hatfield

Missed the traditional American barbeque fare on the 4th this year as our friends didn't hold their hamlet wide barbeque. (the older villages didn't quite get Independance day but went along with celebrating the end of the war. They quite like hamburgers, but turned up their noses at hot dogs.)

Anyway; what's traditional (if anything) for the 14th? Open to any & all suggestions.

More to the point, for the next few hours, what do y'all eat during the Coupe du Monde? Any traditional sporting event foods such as, in the U.S., hot dogs and warm, flat overpriced, beer?

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

More to the point, for the next few hours, what do y'all eat during the Coupe du Monde? Any traditional sporting event foods such as, in the U.S., hot dogs and warm, flat overpriced, beer?

Well, I think we've pretty much exhausted the ethnic possibilities during the Coupe elsewhere. Tonite, we're reverting to form and since it's cooled off so much (by Lance's Texas standards anyway) we're having tampenade from Lyon (courtesy of bleudauvergne) with Kayser bread, cassoulet, mache salad, tomatoes vinaigrette, Quatrehomme's camembert & Noura desserts; all with a bag-in-box Bergerac. Sounds pretty traditional to me.

And I've reluctantly put away my Ronaldo shirt for four years and will go for the Bleus.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

In response to Busboy, I am guessing a nice Barolo with dinner and at the end, a lovely wedge of tarte de l'humilite'.

ETA: To clarify: on July 14, after the final game should France win today as expected.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

we're having tampenade from Lyon (courtesy of bleudauvergne) with Kayser bread, cassoulet, mache salad, tomatoes vinaigrette, Quatrehomme's camembert & Noura desserts; all with a bag-in-box Bergerac.  Sounds pretty traditional to me.

And I've reluctantly put away my Ronaldo shirt for four years and will go for the Bleus.

(Drool)

And tonight chez Ptipois, it was tajine mqalli (lamb, preserved lemons, olives) and gooseberry pie with cinnamon cream. Then my son went to watch the game at the café maure at the Great Mosque (next block from here), sipping thé à la menthe and eating more nice gooey pastries. Seems that they set a large TV screen there. Working with all windows open, I can hear plenty of shouting all over the neighborhood.

cassoulet,

In July? I'm jealous!

I am guessing a nice Barolo with dinner

Good no matter who wins.

gooseberry pie with cinnamon cream

Now I'm the one who's drooling.

Turns out that we will be in Italy for the final so I think we'll have pizza topped with escargo & brie.

If you don't hear from me again its because my Italian friends did me in.

Allez blues!!