• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian in Sea-town

A place that deserves to get a lot of attention, but never seems to -- perhaps because it's in Kent?

Punjab Sweets

23617 C 104th Avenue SE

The sweets are fine, sure, but the (small) counter menu is worth the drive to Kent. This place serves vegetarian street food, without the heavy creaminess of restaurant-style North Indian food, and spiced in a way that doesn't condescend. (It doesn't have to: like Udupi Palace, it seems to serve the Indian-American community almost exclusively.) Also like Udupi Palace, it expands your mental boundaries: it's recognizeably a different style of cooking, although the difference is less radical than the South/North Indian divide. The best food I ate in India, hands down, was dal fry and chapatis at the roadside dhabas where the buses stopped; Punjab Sweets is right in that class, and a lot cleaner.

There was an article in the Weekly a while back that complained about the lack of chaat in Seattle (http://www.seattleweekly.com/features/0326/food-lead.php). Punjab Sweets plugs the gap, and (to my mind) it actually surpasses Vik's Chaat in Berkeley.

Try the chhole bhature, samosas, or the saag paneer.

Weighing in on the Eastside, my favorites (though I'm going to have to sample Upudi Palace after hearing about it on this thread...)

Kabab Palace @ 152nd & 8th Streets, Bellevue, WA - bonus- their meats are halal (that's Muslim for Kosher...)

Mayuri (near Trader Joe's in Bellevue)

There's also a place right across from Chubby and Tubby's on Aurora that serves excellent meals, much more of a Pakistani flavor, don't know the name.

After hearing about Cedars for so long I gave it a try 2 years ago. Much less than thrilled with the flavor, it seemed really dulled down or "Americanized" compared to some of the other restaurants I've sampled in Seattle.

What a great thread- too many places to try!

A place that deserves to get a lot of attention, but never seems to -- perhaps because it's in Kent?

Punjab Sweets

23617 C 104th Avenue SE

Thanks for bringing up my neck of the woods tomatonator...woohooo for Kent!! Ok, here's an old thread about Indian stores where I mention Punjab, as well as the other great Indian stores/restaurants in that particular neighborhood in Kent. Some information may have changed since then... this is an older thread. Thought it might still be useful for others though. Kent actually has decent food people! (And there's a new restaurant in Covington called Portabella Road that I'll be trying next week.. I'll give a report-- I wonder if Ye-Ye Girl has tried it yet??).

And if you're in South King County people, don't forget to get a drink at the Spunky Monkey in Auburn (tiki lounge upstairs) and a great dinner at Auguri Ristorante on Main Street (my South King County plug of the day)..

Old thread with Indian store addresses/info

edited: to add South King County propoganda

Edited by girl chow (log)

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni