• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Head Nut, Ardmore

If you haven't been there already, check out The Head Nut at where Haverford Ave crosses the point Wynnewood Rd becomes Eagle Rd (across from Septa Rt 100 Wynnewood Rd station) in Ardmore.

They have bulk herbs & spices (white cardamom?) dried peppers, bulk fruit, nuts, grains, candy, coffee, & tea (Main Line Coffee Roasters, also in Lancaster County Farmers Market in Wayne 3 days a week), racks of hot sauces with obscene scatological names, oils, extracts, & sauces (including Jean-Georges Vongerichten tamarind sauce & grapeseed oil).

My mind was numb from trying to wrap it around the concept of a tiny place with so much stuff. The people waiting on you have personalities, too. An important consideration.

Thanks for the tip!

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

They do have a great selection, but heaven forbid if you catch the owner on a bad day. He once cursed a friend of mine out for politely asking for her purchases to be put in two separate bags so she and her husband could share the weight on their walk home. A bizarre reason to go off the deep end, but one that has me no longer shopping there.

Cupcake Planet: my (possibly obsessive) cupcake-centric 'blog

I agree about their selection, but I have a problem with how they store their items. I made the mistake of buying Wilbur buds (a type of chocolate) there for friends, not realizing that they had been improperly stored and had taken on the aroma of the store. I was so embarrassed when I realized how funky the chocolate tasted. I haven't bought chocolate from there since.

Also, there's a lady who works there and she seemed like an owner/manager and she took her jolly good time serving customers even though it was a holiday and there was a line forming all the way from the coffee shop to the counter.They're good for speciality items, but definitely get your holiday shopping out of the way weeks before the actual holiday.

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

In cooking classes, I've heard a number of PHL's better known chefs refer to the Head Nut as an excellent place to pick up herbs, spices, unusual ingredients locally. They clearly have not run into any peculiarities in service, although with two members reporting them, hopefully the Management will get the message ... there are other sources and if we're not treated like a customer should be, we can and will take our business elsewhere ...

JasonZ

Philadelphia, PA, USA and Sandwich, Kent, UK

Rudeness is just raw material. It's up to us to turn it into kindness, the best revenge. The best part is, by the time they realize what you've done, you'll be gone and they can't reciprocate. And they owe you.

Thanks for the heads-up, btw. I'm glad I didn't buy any chocolate or other aroma-sensitive items. It's also great to know Philly chefs go there. Jason, do you have any other overheard recommendations?